Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Thanks for the torsion bars, now stay behind me!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thanks for the torsion bars, now stay behind me!

Re: Thanks for the torsion bars, now stay behind me! 13 years ago #10614

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
He removed the whole torsion tube assembley while he was on jack stands. By the time I go there on Fri everything was already out of the car. Steve came back out to the track on Sat morning after Ron had dropped the stock bars off and Steve got everything reinstalled to make Qualifying that morning !
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Thanks for the torsion bars, now stay behind me! 13 years ago #10615

Yes, I had to remove the torsion tube, trailing arms etc. Not a fun job at the track (or anywhere else) but it is all nuts and bolts. Fortunately I carry my roll-away tool boxes in the trailer so I had all my tools. The lucky part was guessing on ride height for stock bars. If I had gotten it wrong, I would hvae packed it up for the weekend because I wasn't about to re-index.

The larger section of broken bar was in the tube and the smaller part was in the spring plate. Both came right out.

I had my materials engineer at work take a look at the bar and he found something I had missed on initial inspection. There is a radial crack from center that extends the length of the longer section of bar all the way to the failure. He thinks it may be a quench crack from heat treatment at manufacturing and the rust got into the crack over time and finally caused complete failure.

To say a good word about Sway-Away, they did give me a significant discount on a new set of bars even though mine were 2+ years old and used in a race car (1 year warranty and void if used in racing is the policy).
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds