Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10329

NASA Performance Touring rules stratify tires by performance potential. The RA-1's fall into the "+7" category. The other options in this category have similar performance. So, yes the RA-1 would still be legal, but this would give those who can't get them other options.

Options that would fit the rule, and are available in 15" sizes are the Kumho Victoracer, Nitto NT-01, Yokohama Advan AO48, R-888, and remaining RA-1's. These are available at most major race tire shops, and online.

Not all of these tires are available in a 225/50, so we would allow any profile (ie 45 series tires), so long as the width stays at or under 225mm. This would mean a 225/45/15 Nitto, or a 205/50/15 R-888 would be legal, for example, but not a 235/50/15 RA-1 (or any tire that size).
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10331

Jim,
Remember that some guys have RA-1's on hand. Enough to last the season or most of it. I know some Az guys that have enough and it would not be right to allow a tire that is clearly faster such as the Hoosier.

We do need to allow alternates, but the challenge is to keep them close enough in performance to allow RA-1 guys to still be competitive. I drove your 13 car at PIR on hoosiers and it would simply drive around any RA-1 shod car with ease.

So I believe Eric is 100% correct in use the +7 rule from Performance Touring. The tires are not all exactly equal, but given the constraints it the best I believe we can do. Openning up the size allowance a bit is smart too as it allows for more options. The 16" wheels should never be an advantage with 45 or 50 sidewall, but just another option in case we get in bind. Heck these days we can get cookier cutters for 50-75 per wheel. That is much cheaper than a tire costs so getting 16x7" might not be the cheapest, but a last resort if we run short on 15" sizes.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years ago by joepaluch.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10332

Also.

The plan would be to go back to the RA-1 once supply is restored. Not sure how we do a phase out of the non-RA1 tires when RA-1 supply returns, but we will figure that when we get there.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10333

I am with Joe here. While some are in desperate need of options, many guys heeded the warnings, and stocked up on RA-1's why they could. It would cause riots to now ask those guys to buy another set of tires to be legal to race. Also, it makes the transition back to the RA-1 easier, as well. I've done some research on the tires available in the +7 category, and there does seem to be a general consensus that theres not much between them.

It looks like we will go with this proposal barring some compelling other idea. Speak today, or hold your peace...
We will work on the specifics of wording. Expect a formal announcement soon.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10334

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
LOL @ "No New Rules"

I'll be running my current RA-1s until they run out. Then, more than likely NT-01s with the rest of my racing friends.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10337

LOL @ "No New Rules"

I'll be running my current RA-1s until they run out. Then, more than likely NT-01s with the rest of my racing friends.

Desperate times...

I'm glad the guys with Nittos can be back in tent this year without issue. Keep in mind, though, that long term, we will be a 1 tire class again.

Also, the NT-01 will likely be gone by the time you need them, so keep your options open!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds