Username Password: Remember me

944S to 944 spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944S to 944 spec

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 5 months ago #16913

• nalb
  • Drivers Ed
I don't yet know what he's asking. Greg, I tried calling you earlier, left a message.
Nick

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 5 months ago #16914

Went to spray booth at 1:30 call me Friday after 9am .
TYLER PALMER 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNER UP 2011 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2011 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2012 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION 2012 SO CAL REGIONAL CHAMPION 2013 NATIONAL 944 SPEC CHAMPION

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 5 months ago #17016

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I cannot speak to the cost of outfitting a 944S into a race car but I can speak to the quality of the #4. I raced against Tyler for the last 4 years and can attest to the fact that this car has been very well maintained using the best quality parts. From a drivers perspective Tyler is very smooth with few mistakes so the car has not been abused by the driver. Prior to Tyler the car was owned by Charlie B. in the southern California region as well. I ran against him in this car for one year. My experience over the past five years with Charlie that he takes very good care of his race car as well. Charlie provides a very high level of maintenance with the highest quality parts to his cars as well. From a drivers perspective he is not hard on a car either. I do not know what Tyler is asking for the car but if you settle on a price you will have purchased a first class 944 Spec race car.

As a bonus, if you purchase the car you will be helping Tyler in his goal of being a professional race car driver. Last year he competed in the Perrelli World Challenge and did a grew job. He could use the funds to help fund his next level of racing. He is also a fine young man who deserves all our assistance in achieving his dream.

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 5 months ago #17017

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
Oops that is a He competed in the Perrelli World challenge last year and did a great job.

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 4 months ago #17079

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
I can speak to converting a 944S - my brother did the same thing to an '87 944S several years back. I will ask him for specifics (if there are any) on what he had to do for wiring for the gauges and whatnot.

All in all, the 944S and regular 944 are almost identical. I would consider it a very worthwhile way to go about building a car. I, also, didn't have the $$ all at once to buy a ready-made car - though they can be quite worth the money.

If the car has ABS, the removal is easy - the only part that will require some head-scratching is the jumping out of the lights on the dash. I would highly recommend doing it the "right" way so you can use the Master Caution like it was mean to be used.

The gear ratios for a 944S transmission are slightly taller for 1-4th gears, but slightly shorter in 5th gear.

Suspension (to my knowledge) is all the same - you'll be doing shocks, springs, tortions, etc with a new build, so don't worry about the condition of that stuff. A-Arms are *definitely* the same, so no worries there. Steering is exactly the same. The entire body is exactly the same. I like the "S" as a base car because it keeps you with late suspension geometry and electronics - my personal preference - to each his own, though.

Some questions I would have when considering the car are:
- what is the engine plan? (where to get one, how much, etc.)
- is the engine in the "S" worth selling? (to my knowledge, there are a few parts that cross-over, but not that many. I would plan on parting out the engine or selling it outright)
- what's the overall condition of the car and what parts are you planning on reusing?
- **DOES IT HAVE LIMITED SLIP?? This would be a huge +++

I hope this is useful for you. I can tell you it works - I've seen it done firsthand.
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)
Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by GT944. Reason: addition

Re: 944S to 944 spec 10 years, 4 months ago #17080

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
I love technology. Just got the lowdown from my brother.

He would do it again, no hesitation. Besides a possible ABS wiring change (if equipped, which his was not), the fuel pump and chassis wiring needs some modified connections made up. One is behind the driver's headlight, the other he is not sure about, but we could poke around and check it out if you end up going for the "S" and would like the advice.

Again, hopefully this helps you come to a decision!
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds