Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Transaxle Cooling
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Transaxle Cooling

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years ago #17585

I have been watching this one develop for a while.
The specific allowance to cut a hole in the unibody would allow one to cut a hole in the floor, i.e. if you want to take clean air from the vent window. Cutting a hole in the rear valence area (i.e. between the tail lights) is clearly an external body panel, and specifically excluded.

You may tap the transmission wherever it works. If some creative soul finds a way to exploit this for a performance advantage, we may have to rein this in, but it would seem to be hard to do that by accident.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years ago #17587

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Sterling Doc wrote:
I have been watching this one develop for a while.
The specific allowance to cut a hole in the unibody would allow one to cut a hole in the floor, i.e. if you want to take clean air from the vent window. Cutting a hole in the rear valence area (i.e. between the tail lights) is clearly an external body panel, and specifically excluded.

You may tap the transmission wherever it works. If some creative soul finds a way to exploit this for a performance advantage, we may have to rein this in, but it would seem to be hard to do that by accident.

Huzzah! The leader has spoken!

My goal is to have my cooler installed for the May 17 CMP race. I just spoke to one of the motorsports shops I got an original quote from and may have a potential group buy/tailor made kit in the works for us. He said if I could get 10 or so in on the purchase, they might be able to knock 15% off.

I haven't decided yet if I want to use a naca in the quarter, underneath, or an electric fan to ventilate the cooler. I want to get my spare tire well modified before I decide that solution. The electric fan actually only ends up adding ~$80 to the price of the cooler.

As another side note, a real competitive advantage could come from the open LSD rule, not a trans oil cooler. Theres a reason why SE30 has a testing procedure for LSDs and SM has a specified LSD list you can run.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 10 years ago by AgRacer.

Re: Transaxle Cooling 9 years, 10 months ago #17868

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Another update after another race. We ran Road Atlanta this past week end. Ambient temps were 91 during the Sunday afternoon race which was 30 minutes of green flag racing (amazingly). I don't have a track temp but I would guess it was in the 105-115 range with mostly sunny skies, maybe more.

After 12 laps, my trans temp gauge was pegged at greater than 250 degrees F. I even wondered prior to this race if the muffler next to the trans temp sender was throwing off the temp readings in the sump, so I insulated it with some shielding. The transmission also got new Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 oil prior to this race. Shifting during the last few laps was not as smooth as it was during the first half of the race.

I'm going to take this data and try to figure what size cooler would be best for this application. Now that I've seen these kinds of temps, I want this cooler installed prior to the next race in July.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Transaxle Cooling 9 years, 7 months ago #18120

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
So has anybody installed one yet??? If yes, how about some pics.

Joeblow, have you drilled holes and installed cooling jets yet??
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Transaxle Cooling 9 years, 7 months ago #18121

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
No progress here...my old 911 has been taking my time. I might even bail on the mechanical pump too (though it is better) and going electric.

I am planning on just two returns, one to the tail cone (stock turbo location) and one to the R&P mesh point in the side cover.
Old Racer!
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds