Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Fuel Cell Fill Question.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Fuel Cell Fill Question.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20250

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Mine is plastic. I think it was a venting issue that I just didn't do a good job fixing. Now when I go to the junkyard the first thing I look for is a vented gas cap! They aren't smog legal here in CA so are hard to find.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20252

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
We have a car in the Southeast with a fuel cell. I believe it is 10 gallons and not a saddle style so it sits up higher just a bit. It was done for safety reasons as the builder thought it much better to have a cell over the stock. He is not currently in compliance with this rule stipulation because I didnt correlate the two back when I told him it was okay to install it. He fills the tank through its cap with the hatch open like any other car which has a cell mounted in the trunk. There is an enclosure built over the top which provides a barrier to the inside of the car.

I dont much care of the early metal tanks as they often rust out and junk up the fuel system. The plastic ones are okay but either way, it sure is a pain to do anything with the fuel tank on these cars given the design.

From what I know of fuel cells, a saddle style design which fit into the stock location would likely be prohibitively expensive given our cars overall value which is why a more traditional box style cell would be chosen, even if it would only hold about 10 gallons.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20255

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
Mine Wes a metal tank. A replaced all the venting parts with new parts from the local Porsche dealer. They weren't expensive, but didn't fix the problem. I even tried venting to the outside to no avail. There are 8 and 10 gallon tanks that should rest on top the transmission brace and be plenty big. I burn about 1 gallon every ten minutes of racing.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20256

• Crooks
  • Junior Racer
Ok so my fuel cell is 8gan ATL it actually holds about 7.5 I can send you pictures of the installation if you want. The only issue is if you wanted to run endurance racing you would need to re-fuel.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20257

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
Crooks wrote:
Ok so my fuel cell is 8gan ATL it actually holds about 7.5 I can send you pictures of the installation if you want. The only issue is if you wanted to run endurance racing you would need to re-fuel.

Pics would be cool. That's what I'm looking at

I suspect it's a bigger problem than people think. The first symptom of the tank expanding is gear change difficulties mid or late race. The tank is pushing down on the shift linkage
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by 1M Fan.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20260

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Just a suggestion:
The tank is vented by a line to the charcoal canister in the front DS fender. That line is controlled by the emissions junk on the DS rear of the engine compartment. If, you (or someone else) just plugged that line when you "made it a race car", you will have the tank bulging problems. You might want to look at that.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds