Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9778

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
PIC_8890.JPG

The rod tip was turned down so it will fit in the under hood slots.

PIC_8873.JPG

PIC_8967.JPG

I slotted the top of the firewall so the rod would fit, which eliminates any clip needed to hold the rod in place with the hood closed.

PIC_8958.JPG

PIC_8963.JPG

PIC_8954.JPG

I bent the rod a little here and there to fit the contour of the inner fender where it lies and the hood closes perfectly.

PIC_8973.JPG
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9798

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I got the headlight covers out and dusted them off. They were one of the first items I removed when starting this project. A piece of flat aluminum stock was used to make the brackets, 2 straight and 2 angle per side.

PIC_8908.JPG

PIC_8917.JPG

I marked for the holes, drilled, cut the sides of the covers and bent them over.

PIC_8922.JPG

PIC_8929.JPG

PIC_8932.JPG

Pop rivets were used to secure the covers in place, which are easily drilled out in case the covers have to be removed for some reason.

PIC_8941.JPG

A little dab of black paint to make it all blend in.

PIC_8992.JPG

Flat aluminum.......$7.49
Total cost of car so far......$6339.74

Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9863

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I worked on the car for hours today but it seemed like nothing got done. I had removed the lights from the bumper a while back. I got them covered tonight. I also covered the fog lights too. Later, when I have more time, I'll install brake ducts.

PIC_8995.JPG

PIC_9018.JPG

PIC_9011.JPG

I got 2 eye bolts at the hardware store and welded the eyes shut. I can booger weld with the best of em'. Drilled a bigger hole in the bumper where one of the license plate holes was and installed.

PIC_9003.JPG

PIC_9006.JPG

PIC_9023.JPG

The radiator opening seemed like it would suck up every stray rock, marbles and debris from the track so I installed some screening. We'll see how that works out.

PIC_9045.JPG

Eye bolts.....$6.68
Total in car so far.....$6346.42

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9882

i like it. I have a skull shifter in our Chumpcar 944 also- hard core! I like the paint on the floor textured. Nice. My shifter mod in the past has been grinding off the weld for that pin in the shifter, drill the linkage out to 1/2" and weld a 1/2" bolt into the shifter then trim and use washer/locknut to hold everything together. Usually works great.
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9889

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

The windshield was next in line so I taped some big beach towels to the hood. My friend Dan stopped by to lend a helping hand with the glass. I placed the original glass over the plexi and used it as a template. A couple of clamps held it in place while we traced it out.

PIC_9058.JPG

PIC_9062.JPG

Boy, someone needs a beer!!!!!

PIC_9078.JPG

We used a jig saw to cut it out. We took it slow and easy. A few times I had to go back and re-cut because the plexi melted back together.

PIC_9084.JPG

PIC_9092.JPG

I made the center brace out of channel aluminum.

PIC_9095.JPG

I used plywood spacers around the outside of the window channel to bring the plexi flush with the outer edge of the windshield opening. I used bolts and nylon lock nuts to secure the windshield in place. It's only temporally install because the banner and driver names are going to be placed on the inside. I just figured it would be easier to install them with the plexi out. Hopefully we'll get to that in the next few weeks.

PIC_9104.JPG

PIC_9108.JPG

As an after thought..Cutting the plexi was easy, drilling holes in the plexi was easy, cleaning up the Flipin' mess it made, sux. That stuff went everywhere, got on everything, made the floor slick, what a mess. If you ever cut plexi, take it outside!

Nuts and bolts.....$4.49
Total in car so far.......$6350.91

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9937

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
OH MAN, DID I MESS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 3 weeks ago I made a deal with SATAN.
We'll call him Nick for now. The Midwest guys know him real good!!! Perhaps the other 944 regions know of somebody like him. Well anyway, he dangled a carrot under my nose and I bit............REAL HARD, he had me hook, line and sinker. Even the Doctors can't do anything..........look what happened..........all of a sudden there was all this stuff waiting to be installed on my car!!!!!!!! OH the humanity!!!!!!!and budget.

PIC_9179.JPG

Is there such a thing called RA (Racers Anonymous)? I have a disease and it's getting the better part of me.
The worst part is.........there's more on the way.

My name is Ken and I have a problem!

Coil over kit, front and rear Koni shocks, sway bar, sway bar support kit, camber plates, new bearings for camber plates.....$1424.13
Total in car so far.....$7775.04

Last Edit: 12 years, 12 months ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds