Username Password: Remember me

Headers Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Headers Question

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11449

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
rd7839 wrote:
Having had a little experience with coatings I can offer my opinion as to why coatings shouldn't be allowed while wraps should. To get any benefit from a coating, you need a quality job done by someone who knows what they are doing. It will help a little but will cost a not so insignificant amount and despite what is said it is not permanent so it will have to be redone occasionally. Wraps on the other hand can be bought at Kragens or even Walmart I beleive, are cheap and easy to do and might not really do much.

I'm still running the original header with no problems and don't often hear about too many failed headers and only have heat issues when something else is wrong, otherwise water and oil temps are pretty good for most of us and beleive it or not, it does get hot here in Norcal.

Are you suggesting that header wrap won't do anything but a coating would? Just want to get a clarification.
-Aaron

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11450

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
After reading the provided links it sounded like the wrap reduces the engine bay temps better than the coatings but had some possible negative side effects like rust and faster deterioration of the header.

Of course these were all chat room experts stating their opinions . Like me!!!
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11451

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I'm certainly no expert but I can say on the few cars I had it on i didn't notice a difference. of course that's not very scientific.

I will say that the ceramic coating was very pretty and it did make getting the bolts off a little easier. I plan on doing the headers for my boxster just so I can swap back and forth to my street/smog setup and an "offroad" setup.
Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by rd7839.

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11454

944sracer wrote:
JerryW wrote:

I'm not sure why you are so keen on allowing the coated headers

Are you not the least bit curious as to why wraps are ok but coatings are not? Do you not see a weirdness about it at all?

Also the Quote about if its not broke....

I think we have an argument for and against almost every proposed rule change even if it isn't a problem.

Lexan - Glass works just fine
Allowing Ram Air? - works just fine stock
Allowing for the removal of the stock sunroof and anything can go in its place? - really? absolutely no reason there

How have any of those changes improved our class as a whole? Some may be able to score lexan cheap but not all.

Look I have been working with these rules for nearly 10 years.

Lexan-- why? Cause some if you (collective not you Blake) bitched and moan about safety and cost. After 3 years we finally gave in. I agree glass works fine.

Ram Air- It was an open question on interpreting the rules as stated. Rules allowed any air filter system. So that means any. We clarifed to allow some ducting. Mostly because it is cheap to do and not effective. Remember once something is allowed removing it from cars can be pain. Some fights are not worth the struggle.

Sunroof... Remember some tubs have no sunroof to start with. So rather than allow percived advantage to non-sunroof cars we allow metallic replacement this making a sun roof car more like non sun roof car. Again cost is a factor. It takes only a few dollars in materials.

So why header wrap allowed? Some guys have it and rather than fight to take it away we just left it. Not worth losing racers over something so trivial. However coatings are bigger can of worms. More unkowns and more cost.

Guys there are reasons rules are made, changed, and sometimes not changed. Search some of the discussions here in this forum and at NASAforums.com and you will start to learn them. Not everything is cut and dry simple. Every rule set will have both compromises and contradictions. Some are there because "the cat is out of the bag" some are there because the effect is minimal and change over cost is too high. Some are there because of real testing and pracical experience.

Now engine bay temps.... They do not have a big role to play in actual water and oil temps. Both water and oil are more regulated by the operation of both oil cooler and radiator. Only when you park are engine bay temps really an issue. Engine bay temps can impact engine power by impacting intake air. Even then air flow is your friend. Suck in cool air from outside the engine as does the stock air box and run it at 5000 rpm and there is little time for that air to heat up.

So if you want to change header coating/wrap rules you may do so. Given where they are now however I need real information as my gut says no. Don't change, do force people to either go get a coating or even remove what they have. How will such a change do good things for an existing racer or attract new racers?
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11515

I agree with Joe here. BTW, anyone can get cheap Lexan through www.racingmetal.com. Call them, and cut to fit - about $35 each.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 6 months ago #11762

Not to dredge up an old debate but -

There was no testing involved before the rules change allowing ram air ducting. Yet after the change testing was done and the results were that there was a significant advantage to having a ram air system. It looks like the rule will not be changed. I am OK with that.

What I am NOT OK with -

The demand for tests to be done on my proposal to allow header coating... the purpose of this change is to decrease the engine bays temps which would result in motor/oil longevity.

Guys,

My purpose is not to offend but - it seems as though there is a double standard in regards to rules changes. No testing was done (to my knowledge) before the rules change was accepted for ram air ducting. there was however a demand for testing to be done with this rule change proposal.

We need some consensus regarding the vetting that is or is not required before a rule change may be passed in regards to a change that may or may not change performance. Obviously there will be some no brainers (oil coolers, brake ducting, etc) but there is some serious controversy regarding the effects the ram air and coated headers have on performance.

Some one will say that "no other club requires this" but lets set the standard.

Just food for thought
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds