Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14525

Joe (for the third time) - it's legal already! Put dual fans on if you like. Oil coolers are unrestricted so long as their only function is to cool.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14526

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Hmmmm, how do I keep missing that? Perhaps the rules should mention fans for oil coolers are free as it only mentions the cooler now?

Sterling Doc wrote:
Joe (for the third time) - it's legal already! Put dual fans on if you like. Oil coolers are unrestricted so long as their only function is to cool.
Old Racer!

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14527

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Hey, how bout a transaxle oil cooler with a fan, is that legal??? It would be great to keep temps down and make our transmission last longer.
What do you think??????
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14529

Ken, right now, you can legally add a fan to your illegal cooler - you'll only get DQ'd once per race.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14531

On the issue of trans coolers, I don't see the cooler as any big deal. We could find some spec cooler to make sure everyone is even and no one can gain some advantage.

The problem is that the process to install a cooler requires a pump. Our trans has a way to make that happen with the turbo drive gear and pump but it would be costly to source and expensive to install if you paid someone. There is the thought of using an external pump but that gets complex as well.

If some are able to spend for this setup and others not, it becomes a perceived advantage. I'm just not sure a problem exists that warrants all the fuss. Of course now that I've said that my trans will blow up

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14533

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
951 cooler set-up is one option, tilton electric pump or similar is the other option.

I see this as being very similar to the engine oil cooler rules. Most will go with factory coolers, some with aftermarket, some with rubber lines, some with AN stainless etc...

End of the day there will be a pump (mechanical/stock or electric/aftermarket) and a cooler (stock 951 or aftermarket) and some lines and fittings (stock or aftermarket).

I am guessing that many will simply opt to not add one and the weight penalty of it. I see ZERO performance advantage to this except for those that need to add weight at the back of the car. For that they can do a ton already (driver cooling in back, more fuel etc...).

To me this is a no brainer.

944Racer72 wrote:
On the issue of trans coolers, I don't see the cooler as any big deal. We could find some spec cooler to make sure everyone is even and no one can gain some advantage.

The problem is that the process to install a cooler requires a pump. Our trans has a way to make that happen with the turbo drive gear and pump but it would be costly to source and expensive to install if you paid someone. There is the thought of using an external pump but that gets complex as well.

If some are able to spend for this setup and others not, it becomes a perceived advantage. I'm just not sure a problem exists that warrants all the fuss. Of course now that I've said that my trans will blow up
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by joeblow. Reason: spelling ;)
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds