Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2014 Rules Change Requests - post here!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here!

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16616

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
I and any other 924S driver would have to update/backdate to a full 944 conversion of any year. Either way, what is the smarter, lower cost change?
1987 924S #5 NASA RM

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16619

RacerX wrote:
I have two more....

11.1.1 Air and fuel flow shall not be restricted to meet the 138 + 2 HP cap. Restrictor plates and throttle stop screws are illegal.

13.6.6 The fuel rail and injector size will remain stock and unmodified. Fuel pressure regulators are illegal.

Ken (and everyone posting a request) - please state you reasoning and justification. I don't understand why restrictor plates are a concern?

The cars have a screw for the throttle pedal stop from the factory. It is adjustable. A throttle stop that can be manipulated while coming off the track or in impound would be a problem (i.e. skirting the dyno)

Modifying the fuel rail, and injectors has been illegal from day 1. There is nothing in the rules that says you can do it, therfore, you can't.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16620

Robbie wrote:
I would again call to remove ram air, or restrict the inlet to the front left turn signal area. As stated last year I don't feel this fits the spirit of our rules for the follwing reason:

1. This is supposed to be a drivers class and not an engineering class. Spending the time to test and develop a ram air system that is effective crosses this line. You are not working to make the car as optimal as possible within the limits of the factory equipment but working outside it.

2. We have made a big deal about instituting a cap for power that involves a dyno, but we allow a system that cannot be tested on a dyno. Also, given that Miller is currently a Nationals track, we are rewarding those who spend the money and time to develop a car that makes max power on the dyno and then can exceed that on the track that currently is not enforced.

3. There is evidence that the best place for drawing air for the 944 is the foglight area. Given the differences in the shape of the front bumper for the 924S and 944, we are giving an advantage to the 944 as this area is not available as an opening for the 924S. Since we cannot take back the use of the 924S, we should at least limit the inlet area for ram air to a location that can be accessed by both cars in the category.

You make good points, Robbie. Limiting ram air to the turn signal area is fairly easy to enforce. Outlawing it entirely is tougher - how do you define "ram air" by rule? This one was close last year, so I'd like to hear more thoughts on all of this from you guys.

Should we limits ram air to the turn signal -i.e "Spec" it, or attempt to outlaw it, or leave it alone? Once we have decide on what to pursue, I'll put it up as a rule change request.
I also need to hear more input on the RCR's that are already posted.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16621

michaelreich wrote:
I do not know if I understand the last post. If the best place is the foglight area, then why should one care if you use the bumper? Will a 944 bumper fit on a 924S? I thought they would.

Michael, Robbie point is that the 924S is at a disadvantage with regard to ram air because it does not have the high pressure foglight area to draw air from (vs. a 944). We have no idea how much difference it makes, but he has a point.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16622

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
RacerX wrote:
I have two more....

11.1.1 Air and fuel flow shall not be restricted to meet the 138 + 2 HP cap. Restrictor plates and throttle stop screws are illegal.

13.6.6 The fuel rail and injector size will remain stock and unmodified. Fuel pressure regulators are illegal.

Ken (and everyone posting a request) - please state you reasoning and justification. I don't understand why restrictor plates are a concern?

The cars have a screw for the throttle pedal stop from the factory. It is adjustable. A throttle stop that can be manipulated while coming off the track or in impound would be a problem (i.e. skirting the dyno)

Modifying the fuel rail, and injectors has been illegal from day 1. There is nothing in the rules that says you can do it, therfore, you can't.

Sorry I got ahead of myself. Here ya go....

I have two more....

Now that we have a HP cap people will want to build to that 140HP limit. We should build to that limit and not over. Building over and then reducing the HP by restrictor will net you more HP/TQ in the lower rev range. In order to keep people from doing this we should impose the following rules or something similar...

2 or 3 HP over isn't that bad now. HP/TQ are very close and you can add thicker engine and gear box oil, change to a longer exhaust etc., but I can see it being more than that in the near future. If we limit this now, I believe it will cause less headaches in the future.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: 2014 Rules Change Requests - post here! 10 years, 6 months ago #16623

Ken -

I'm going to stop these two at the gate.

I see no functional difference in restricting motors by a plate vs. a muffler, except that the plate is cheap, and predictable in how it restricts power & TQ.

Let me repeat that what you proposing with 13.6.6 is already illegal
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds