Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Dyno rules in other classes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Dyno rules in other classes

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16755

Sooo... back on topic, any more thoughts on the proposed adjustments?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16760

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Ken,

It's a CCR rule, not 944 Spec:

17.8 Minimum Weight
Each driver shall be given a standard five (5.0) pound leeway under the minimum published weight for their car
during the first time (voluntary or not) the car is weighed for that event. After the initial weighing, the competitor
must meet the exact published weight with zero (0.0) pounds leeway for the remainder of that event. This
policy should compensate for any discrepancies between scales, margin of error, and imperfections in ground
surfaces. No other tolerance will be given.

OK, but in CCR rule 17.7 Class Rule Compliance, the last sentence states...
Class rules supersede rules found in the CCR anytime that there is a conflict.
Our class rule 10 Weight
10.1 Minimum - Vehicle
Minimum weight requirements must be met immediately following all qualifying sessions and races. The car including driver must weigh at least 2600 pounds.

A car coming off track after a qualifying or race session that weights 2601 is in violation of our class rule 10.1. This a direct conflict of CCR rule 17.8 Minimum Weight. Our class rule simply doesn't just state a weight, it states exactly when the car must meet that weight.
If you want to use the CCR 17.8 rule then you need to remove the first sentence from our class rule 10.1

I know I'm splitting hairs but......I don't have any hair to split!!
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16762

I will presume you meant 2599 in your example, and yes you do have a point. Hair successfully split, thread derailed again . We'll need to throw some wording in there that defers to the CCR, unless you guys feel the one time, 5lb allowance is not in the best interest of the class.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16764

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
I will presume you meant 2599 in your example, and yes you do have a point. Hair successfully split, thread derailed again . We'll need to throw some wording in there that defers to the CCR, unless you guys feel the one time, 5lb allowance is not in the best interest of the class.

Yes I did mean 2599. I think you should leave it alone.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16767

rd7839 wrote:
Steve & Jim,

You two just like arguing with me! You got my point though! Just for arguing Steve, next time on the boat I'll make it my mission to throw you off the tube. I might even pull the v6 and drop a blown v8 with nitrous to really launch you!

And Jim, just wait till you're asleep in the mothership!

You know I have to win. If you don't come to the track, I'll try to beat you on the forum

Sorry for the thread hijack but hey at least banter makes everyone come in to see what's new

Re: Dyno rules in other classes 10 years, 6 months ago #16778

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Eric had some good thoughts about dyno issues and the power cap. Eric perhaps you could share your examples we discusses. In case you forgot, it was about your "comfort zone" on your power to make an allowance for dyno variability and how Neal has his idea on his comfort zone.

I think that has relevance to the discussion and my concerns on dyno variability.

Cars make more power when they are thoroughly warmed up. That is when they will show their "potential". That potential may only show up in one pull that is higher than any other in that session but THAT is the potential for that car in that tune. Each racer can decide for themselves what margin they want under the cap to account for dyno variability.

I agree with all of what Eric shared on this with me.

The ONLY thing we do not yet understand is - What is the variability from dyno to dyno and time to time on the same dyno. That information is what we need, going forward, for each of us to decide how close we are willing to cut it at the risk of a DQ.

In my opinion, we should not, therefore, act like someone "cheated" if they are high. They made a decision that may not have worked out on that day but that should be the end of it just like if a guy makes a mistake on his weight calcs and comes in under and gets DQ'ed. I don't know of anyone that makes that a big deal about cheating, they goofed up and that's all.

We all do this for fun and plastic trophies. We do not need to be framing the power cap in the context of "cheating". We should frame it in the context of "risk/reward" and understand that we are not dealing with a precision instrument in dyno's. We are dealing with something that has unavoidable variables and sometimes someone will make a mistake and get DQ'ed but let's leave it at that and continue to have fun.

I believe Eric's proposed adjustments to the rules are good and should be adopted and we should all go out and have fun with our friends and competitors at and on the track.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds