Username Password: Remember me

Official Rules Change Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18746

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Ummm I do NOT intend to install a short shifter (you can if you want...unadvised). They make the shifting tighter and notchy making it easier to miss-shifts. I would like to change the linkage at the tranny to heim joints to remove all slop and go with the same at the shifter too.

One of the issues with the 944 shifting is the extreme temperature change at the shifter causing things to expand and get out of alignment. Heim jonts are better at taking heat changes and staying in tolerance than a solid shaft riding in a solid bore (ie stock).

Also as I said in my original post the shifter position is required to remain as STOCK. This eliminated the back seat driving position and any other such tomfoolery.

This is NOT a performance mod or a big money 'must have' thing. This is basic upgrades to make things MORE reliable and less likely to FAIL. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old Racer!

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18748

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
joeblow wrote:

Also as I said in my original post the shifter position is required to remain as STOCK. This eliminated the back seat driving position and any other such tomfoolery.

This is NOT a performance mod or a big money 'must have' thing. This is basic upgrades to make things MORE reliable and less likely to FAIL. Seems like a no brainer to me.

As long as the wording is specific in the rule then the intent is clear to everyone and we should be good.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18749

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
joeblow wrote:
Ummm I do NOT intend to install a short shifter (you can if you want...unadvised). They make the shifting tighter and notchy making it easier to miss-shifts. I would like to change the linkage at the tranny to heim joints to remove all slop and go with the same at the shifter too.

One of the issues with the 944 shifting is the extreme temperature change at the shifter causing things to expand and get out of alignment. Heim jonts are better at taking heat changes and staying in tolerance than a solid shaft riding in a solid bore (ie stock).

Exactly this:

only944.com/partscatalog/only/shiftlinkagearm/

Which is made to eliminate slop and replace worn stock components which are very simply made. It does not change shift throw in the slightest and as such, I believe is not in violation of the current rule as it is written.

14.3.1 Transmission shift linkage may be modified to remove slop or to repair worn components. The length of the shift lever and the distance of throw of the shifter may not be modified. “Short Shifters” are not allowed.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18750

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Heim joints, are you serious? This is what I hate about this time of year, the crazy ideas that are so far off the class intent. The only shifter issues anybody ever had are VERY easy and VERY cheap to fix and are well documented online but you want to swing for the fences and reinvent the wheel. We have been racing for years with the stock setup with very few issues. Shoot, twice this year when I had clutch hydraulic issues I ran races without the clutch pedal and made every upshift and down without issue. If you maintain the stock stuff and fix what's worn and still miss a lot of shifts, it's you!

Every car that I know personally has a rebuilt or replaced motor but only one that replaced a trans because of a failure so what's the ratio, 10 to 1, 20/1? Trannies( not you Steve) are not scarce, picknpull sells them for $150. There's always a couple cars there. If you're pulling fenders or other things, crawl underneath and pull the trans and stash it in the truck for a spare.

No offense Joe but you're telling us how bad our cars shift but you have yet to race yours. When you make it out I think you'll find just how fun these old cars are! As is! I appreciate that you want to make things better but your ideas are not free, not within everybody's means, and not needed.

I go through a couple cv joints a year, how about allowing custom u joints with chromoly axles? Or for engine reliability how about dry sumps?

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18751

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
These are what I am talking about and 'optional' is the key word here. These cost less than $150 for both components and can be made for much less.

I have thousands of hours in 944s by the way and yes they do have shifting issues, especially when the engine and tranny are on soft mounts like required by our rules.
Attachments:
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by joeblow.

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 4 months ago #18752

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Oh look its time for me to say "No New Rules" again.

A cheap stick on bubble mirror for the side mirrors is all thats needed. Dont need a rule for that.

Been racing 944's for 7-8 years now with no trans failures and miss shifts have always been me trying to rush a shift. Your linkage is either worn and bad or you need more time in the car.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion