Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21384

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
We also had a fuel rail leak causing a fire this season in the Southeast. I believe ours to be related to one or more bolts being loose/gone which caused a fuel injector to leak. Not exactly a fuel rail failure, but have had those in the past.

I think the best solution is to install them properly and ensure balance shafts are in time. Adding rubber isolaters may or may not work. I kinda think that mounting it loosely with rubber pads may lend to an increase in vibrations and accelerated cracking.

Also, we had another left front spindle failure this past week end at Road Atlanta. I have recommended to our fearless leader to include an advisory statement in the suspension section which states the following:

Spindles which are drilled to accept the speedometer cable were utilized on the 1983-1985 944 and on the 1987-1988 924S. This hollow spindle will fail in racing conditions. It is advised that you update the drivers side front spindle to the non drilled version from the 85.5-86 model year 944.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21391

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Thank you all for participating in this forum thread. Some pretty good suggestions and discussions on here.
NASA has been up my ass to get the rules in for the last month and I've been working on these for the last couple weeks.
I should have them published and posted by the end of this year.

T

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21392

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
While I can understand NASA wanting to get the rules process completed and would be pressuring you to finish up discussions and send them any 2017 revisions, if it was me I would not let that influence the time schedule of getting rules reviewed discussed and revised. This is especially true when any proposed rules change involves a safety issue , of which we have several If it was me I would tell them that several significant safety issues have come to light late in the process and need to be fully investigated and vetted before the rules are published for the 2017 season. I suspect NASA will be understanding in that manner and would not put pressure on you near term. If they do push back then we should consider having several of us contact the individuals involved in pushing for a hasty publishing of the rules without considering certain safety issues and tell them to be patient. Remember we are the clients of NASA and without us they do not exist as an organization. They are a for profit organization. If need be we can say that 944 Spec would consider stopping its participation in NASA if we are not given the needed time to properly vet all our potential rules changes.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21393

AgRacer wrote:
We also had a fuel rail leak causing a fire this season in the Southeast. I believe ours to be related to one or more bolts being loose/gone which caused a fuel injector to leak. Not exactly a fuel rail failure, but have had those in the past.

Also, we had another left front spindle failure this past week end at Road Atlanta. I have recommended to our fearless leader to include an advisory statement in the suspension section which states the following:

Spindles which are drilled to accept the speedometer cable were utilized on the 1983-1985 944 and on the 1987-1988 924S. This hollow spindle will fail in racing conditions. It is advised that you update the drivers side front spindle to the non drilled version from the 85.5-86 model year 944.

And to think that both of these things happened to one car! Are there any more dangerous things that can go wrong that I need to be aware of?

I was lucky enough to have already decided to go in the pits when the spindle failed and somehow did not wind up doing much damage to the car, but this is a MAJOR issue with these cars that I had never heard about prior to it happening. I highly second that a warning about this issue be put somewhere everyone will see it.
Kyle Kimball

Orange 1984 944 #444

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21399

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Atteberry-

This thread was posted 5 weeks ago. I also cross posted this on our 944 Spec FB page. On top of that, we've had all season to voice any rule suggestions or concerns. I even contacted all directors individually asking them to encourage members to participate (5 weeks ago). We are the only class without finalized results.
Dont worrry, safety is my highest of concerns.

This issue is not a new one. Fuel rails have not JUST started breaking - this is generally tied in with cars with incorrect balance shaft belts or that have had a history with them.

I recommend all of you with concerns about rules to reach out earlier, or log in promptly when this begins. This process is the same it was a year ago, as well as in the past. The rules are not something I work on only at the years end, but rather something I note, research, and work on year round.

Thank you all for your contributions! Who's ready for NOS and aero? I kid, I kid.
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by dpRacing Dan.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds