Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2019 Rules Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2019 Rules Thread

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22206

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
Could you share a photo of your camber/caster plates? On the ground control plates and some others the four holes that mount the plate to the body are slotted so you can move them back for more caster. You're not modifying the center hole for the strut rod, right?

Disclaimer: I'm thinking of running the 944 in another class.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22207

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
7sOnly wrote:
It looks like the suggestions that 7s Only customers seem to want are simply discarded, not voted on or anything. I’ve been asking for the battery to be moved to allow for a Group 24 battery that will last for more than a year for several years now. Again, the suggestion is thrown aside.

What is preventing you from putting a group 24 sized battery into the stock location under the current rule set? I have been running a Miata battery for years in the stock location and many others use even lighter weight racing batteries in the stock location.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22208

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
I'm glad to see you participate in the rules forum 7s only. Welcome!
Your suggestions have not been discarded. You represent 5 cars in a national field of 145. So, by this math you guys represent a little less than 4% of the entire national field.
Your plates were legal. The caster blocks and bushings you used to accommodate these plates were not however, which resulted in your winning driver being disqualified.
The 7's only plates offer a significant advantage over the majority of the plates being produced and run in our series. Infact, from my research only 1 other plate on the market offers ANY type of caster adjustment, that being the version 2 of the Ground control plates. They are no where NEAR the adjustment that your plates offer. The problem with allowing your plates, is now there would only be 1 source for these highly advantageous plates, which are offered at the highest price of any plates on the market. So this would mean that any racer that wants to be as competitive as the 7s Only cars would have to purchase plates from you guys. This means 140 racers purchasing $550 plates - hmmm.... that's $77,000! ORRRR, Or 5 cars could change back to less expensive plates to match what 140 OTHER cars are using. Plates that range from $99 - $400. Hmmm, doesnt this make a TON more sense?It looks like you already have someone ready to buy these from you guys too! Perfect!
The battery suggestion was lobbied here, as it has been in the past. Will this improve reliability of the cars? No. Is it unsafe where it is now? No. So besides moving weight, and asking 145 drivers to spend time and money to buy new cables, fabricate new mounts, remove passenger seats, cool suits, etc... why should we pass this? If there was an over-whelming out-pouring of our members wanting this- it would pass.
Pro 7 is irrelevant to this series. This series has 145+ cars running and has been around a lot longer than Pro 7 was. The reason? The formula stays the same. Keep cars competitive, and inexpensive to maintain and REMAIN competitive. I ran Spec Miata for years. The reason I chose 944 Spec OVER Miata was because the rules dont change every year to allow for the hot new part- that EVERYONE needs to buy to be competitive. This is not a builders series. Its a drivers series. This rules forum was created as a place for the people who make this series what it is- the drivers.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22209

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
CamberPlateDiagram4-01.jpg

CamberPlateDiagram2-01.jpg

CamberPlateDiagram1-01-01.jpg

As a reference, I've included what typical caster camber plates allow vs the 7s Only plates.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by dpRacing Dan.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22211

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
Dan,
How about the design of the Drift-King plates? They're off the shelf. Maybe the solution is to define a spec camber plate or group of plates, like shocks are limited to one model of Konis, one model of Bilsteins, or stock? Or outlaw any plate that allows caster adjustment, and allow camber adjustment only?

drift-king.de/shop/porsche-924-944-camber-caster-plates/
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Kurt R.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 4 months ago #22212

• tcomeau
Kurt,
When someone pokes a hole in the rules, we have to figure out how to tighten the rules, plug the hole, and limit the "change" cost to existing racers. Spec-ing 1 plate only would be the simplest solution, but costly to many people. When you look at the majority of plates our racers actually have, they're pretty similar. So take the commonality among them and change the rule to limit costs to the majority of racers. Make sense?

Another point is that any parts outside the rules can be sold off to 944 Cup racers, or to the guys racing 944's in Australia, or to ST class 944 cars. This is what we did back in 2004? when chips and headers were making the cars noticeably uneven in performance. We had no HP cap then. Most guys affected just sold their Stahl, MSDS, Bursch headers, bought stock ones, and put the cash difference into their next entry fees. Some guys actually left the class because of this rule change, but honestly, if they didn't want equal cars, they didn't belong in this class did they? And the class has since quintupled in size and spread across the entire country. Proof positive that the 944 Spec idea of having to outdrive, not outspend the guy next to you on the grid is a formula that attracts and retains racers. Just give racers an affordable chance to win and the rest is up to them.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by tcomeau.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds