Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cheap Lexan Windshields!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cheap Lexan Windshields!

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 14 years, 2 months ago #6760

Well, I haven't mounted it yet, but I did leave the pre-drilled holes on the top. The nice thing about Lexan is that you can drill through it to mount it. Just need to make sure to avoid sharp edges/stress risers. Not sure what I'll do for a center brace. That might eat up much of the 4lb. benefit, which is fine - the Lexan was never intended to be a performance benefit.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 14 years, 2 months ago #6786

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
this is why you need a center brace for the Nascar lexan....
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 13 years, 12 months ago #7359

follow up ?

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 13 years, 11 months ago #7385

It worked well.

I'll post some pictures up once I'm done getting my motor in!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 13 years, 10 months ago #7642

can we get an update on trimming procedure and install mounting procedures.
I just bought one

Re:Cheap Lexan Windshields! 13 years, 10 months ago #7694

Sorry I did not back to this earlier. I had typed a long reply several days ago, but it got lost in Cyberspace, I guess.

I used the old winshield as a template. Some of the stock windshileds have a gap around them, so leave yourslef a 1/4" extra or so if yours does. I used a fine blade on a handheld reciprocating saw with good results. Don't go too fast, or you'll soften the Lexan & clog the blade, but it's not too easy to cause this problem.

I left in the OEM gasket after cutting out the glass, and laid the Lexan on there. I used a 1/4" by 1" aluminum strip for the center breace I drilled & tapped it for a 6mm screw, then used button-head screws to attach the winshield to the brace. My wipers hop over the button-heads easily. I used threaded aluminum collars to pull in the sides of the windshield - like rivets, only threaded for removal.

HTH
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds