Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8280

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Yes that is usually what happens. The same will happen even if we had exactly the same cars. The fast guys are fast for a reason. They put in the time to learn racing. Racing is a learned sport. Any of us can learn to do it effectively.
It does take lots of track time, coaching (self or outside) reading and experimenting. Data aquisition is a good tool for this.

The REWARDS WEIGHT system is way cheaper than trying to equalize the HP between cars.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8282

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Chris wrote:
I dont know why people keep posting saying that people are accusing others of cheating etc, no one has said that. all that is being proposed is a possible way of making the class closer and cheaper... that's it.

...because its obvious that if you're faster than me you must be cheating...

no I don't think anybody is saying that, in fact I'm a little puzzled how this all came up in the first place, but whatever...

In any series the R&D or racers tricks eventually work there way out in the open and become normal for everyone to run. Besides compression ratio and cam timing does anyone have some sort of secret that is gaining some huge advantage? what can be done to the motors besides a careful rebuild with ideal tollerances and select parts? One solution is to collectively list everything that has been done or can be done then its fair game, as long as it doesn't add substantially to the cost of racing or is prohibitive for the average builder to do and then those mods would be made illegal and we all know what to look for and avoid. And if there are items that would help all of us in terms of simple power and reliablity modifications then it would be good for everyone. I guess thats what is in the spirit of the series.

Now if someone could help me with my F duct....

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8283

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Jim, I can help you with your F-duct and your 88 engine concern. You can give me that dispicible, trouble causing 88 engine with the cheater pistons. You can depend on me to dispose of the whole mess in an envirnmentally friendly manner.

While I am at it, I can show you my exhaust system that is designed to accelerate air flow under the car and through the double difuser for more down force. You will need to cut your exhaust off at the torsion bar in order to use the accelerated exhaust gas for the downforce.

I can also show you the movable tabs on the front valence that provide much less drag on the straights but can be deployed for corners giving you at least 10 mph more in average corner speed, even with worn out Toyo's.

I can pick up that pesky 88 motor tomorrow any time. Just let me know what is good for you because any time is good for me.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8284

JRichard wrote:

no I don't think anybody is saying that, in fact I'm a little puzzled how this all came up in the first place, but whatever...

In any series the R&D or racers tricks eventually work there way out in the open and become normal for everyone to run. Besides compression ratio and cam timing does anyone have some sort of secret that is gaining some huge advantage? .

good thoughts ... now think of this, if the series directors did have information that we had a problem or a problem was brewing how might I introduce the process of heading off a problem. how about a thread talking about limiting HP or adding weight ?

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8286

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
SvoChuck wrote:
[b]
good thoughts ... now think of this, if the series directors did have information that we had a problem or a problem was brewing how might I introduce the process of heading off a problem. how about a thread talking about limiting HP or adding weight ?

...Yes but if you thought that we thought that someone thought that there was a problem, don't you think we would of thought about thinking about it ourselves?...

...big dog thanks for your kind offer to help with your speed secrets and engine building magic...

Seriously tho, and not to talk around the issue do we have a current issue with out of spec motors? I haven't seen or heard anyone come flat out and say that...

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8287

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
944 Cup also used rewards weight.

I have no problem with rewards weight. It is cheap and easy. It may require more work in corner balance etc. if you start getting 100 LBS in the car.

In Cup, it never made a difference. The same guys won with or without the extra weight.

Second the above. With emphasis on: "... it never made a difference. The same guys won with or without ..."

And, it was a pain (impossible?) to keep track. Both for competitors and officials. So it's not so easy as might appear.

And, everyone had to carry around discrete amounts of weight and fabricate a retention system that allowed adding and removing the weight quickly at the track. Much harder than just getting a car to a single weight. Some were built that way from scratch. Others not. Not so cheap as might appear.

And after all that, "... the same guys won ...".

So the whole thing was dropped and no one misses it.
'JB'
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds