Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8295

We've had 8 pages of speculation on rules...

We still aren't clear what the problem is that were trying to fix?

Is it the 138 HP fussy home build or $3K shop build?

Is it the theoretical 147 HP motor?

Is it about the perception that things aren't fair?

Is it the perception that it takes a $10K (or $7K...) motor to be competitive?

Each of these things should be addressed in very different ways.

I think we ought to pay attention to Steve & his experience with 944 Cup. As much as we don't want to be SM, we aslo don't want to repeat the mistakes of 944 Cup. 1/2 of their series DID fade away this year. They no longer exist in the Great Lakes either - I saw that blow up live. Rules that existed weren't enforced, and more rules did not solve that problem, just gave them more to argue about, until the whole thing imploded in one weekend. 9 cars coup to GTS-1.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8296

A little history lesson guys.

Why 88 pistons were allowed.

When we created this series in 2002 we wanted to make sure we had the largest pool of possible cars, but maintain performance.

So we allowed the 88 944 and 924S. We restricted the 89 2.7L 944. I have had guys complain about not being able to run an 89 2.7L.

Now we were aware of the increased compression of the 88 motors and for the first 3-4 years the rules stated that 88 motors might see a weight penalty. We kept on looking to see if a clear trend would emerge. None ever did even with dyno's to support. It seemed clear that race winners were the better drivers. Looking back allowing the 88's still ok in my mind because our compression limit. Also having run an 88 block in my 944 compared to 84 block using the same minimaly shaved (for truness only) head, I found the CONDITION of the motor to be more important the piston type.

I don't see us at a crisis. Certainly not in Arizona.
Now that does not mean the series director cannot or should not try to look into the future. We directors are working hard to prevent this from getting into an Arms race. That is one we cannot win.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8317

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
something to consider...the demise of 944 supercup due to similar issues...lets not go this way:

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/racing-an...f-944supercup-2.html

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 6 months ago #8321

Jim,
We director will never let things go that way. Our rules, class and directors may not be perfect, but we do try hard to make sure we keep to the spirit of the class and stay in tune with driver concerns/demands.

Like I have said before... This discussion is about being "proactive" rather than reactive.

Nobody in this class wants $10k motors to be "competitive". As such the directors need to be constantly aware and watch out for things that might drive us that way. It is tough to both minimize constant tinkering and tweaking of the rules, but also be proactive to ensure we keep to our "driver skill over dollars spent" concept alive and well.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 5 months ago #8639

ok it's up there 2011-8 .
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds