Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 5 months ago #6364

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Small block V8 for next year? I might be able to "borrow" a decent motor from a friend. We aren't restricted by spec rules. I know a fabricator who can make motor mounts maybe. We can put a bigger radiator in with some persuasion(big hammer), stock brakes with Hawk's should be ok. The only issues are steering linkage and how to mate to the driveshaft.

Just a thought.

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 5 months ago #6366

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Only problem with that is (although I love the idea) is the adaptors to match to the torquetube/bellhousing are a ridiclous price (and everyone knows it).

Ken got an engine from EASY and I'll probably go through it and throw it in.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 5 months ago #6414

• Otimo
  • Drivers Ed
Hi this is Genna with the orangy red '83.
Wow how exiting to see that you guys are running leMons.
Can I join you on fish out of h2o? I dont need seat time just want to be a part of.
I have tools, tow vehicle, enthusiasm.

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 3 months ago #6590

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Genna,

We always welcome volunteer pit crew.
I'll let you know when we get the LeMons car back together and the next LeMons race we will participate in.

Thanks!
--Ken

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 3 months ago #6599

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
The Sears Pointless is March 6-7. I know our team will be there. Not sure if I will be though. There are 4 LeMons races in California this year. I will probably do 2 of them. This year I want to focus on my Spec car and getting track time and my comp license.
The $1000 I spend on each LeMons race could be 4 track days in my #07 car!
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:Welcome 2009 24 Hours of LeMons teams 14 years, 3 months ago #6609

Jump07 wrote:
This year I want to focus on my Spec car and getting track time and my comp license.
The $1000 I spend on each LeMons race could be 4 track days in my #07 car!

Well the biggest issue with LeMons in a 944 is that you are running time bomb. To be cheap enough to qualify for the $500 limit the car has to be junk. Plus then you can't put too much in to save the car and make it finish. The result is running it and gambling the #2 does not fail.

The sad part is when it does fail you blow up a bottom end. We racers then lose a rebuildable motor forever.

That just makes it harder to race since our supply of cheap parts gets diminished. Plus the cost to build a proper spec car vs LeMons car is not that much different especially when you consider a spec car should last for many seaons where as a LeMons car probably will be hit at least once and stands a good chance of real body damage. So if you started with a worn, but straight tub and rebuildable motor there is a strong chance both will be trash at the end. If you start with junk then the chances of finishing are slim in the first place.

Still LeMons can be a good place to get your feet wet especially for longer endurance racing and team operation. Despite all race and seat time you can get in normal DE ro race weekend the pit planning of and enduro is hard to replicate.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds