Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Thunderhill April 24th-25th
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Thunderhill April 24th-25th

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7292

Guys, that was a fantastic weekend. Most fun I've ever had. That beats flying acro.

I'd planned to just survive and was hoping to manage to be not-last on Sunday. Instead, I learned a ton, got way faster, surprised myself, and had some great racing.

Thanks to Steve for making that first race interesting! I thought I was ahead of everyone, and got complacent. He put me in my place.

Special thanks to Jerry for Sunday! Holy crap! I'm glad you got your car fixed. That was amazing. I have never driven that hard in my life. From the first turn to the last, it was a constant battle. Give me a chance to build up some confidence for passing, and I can't wait for another go.

Julie also had a good time. She said she enjoyed watching and really got into it after she got the hang of figuring out what was going on and who was in what position on the track.

I also have to thank Ron for putting the bug in my ear all those months back and suggesting I was ready to pick up spec racing. And thanks to whoever it was that let my try their car at Thunderhill way back when.

This was great, and I can't wait to do it again!

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7293

It was one of the best race weekends you can ever ask for at Thunderhill. Temperatures were tolerable and the track was definitely fast as Rick was able to turn an incredible record breaking qualifying time on Saturday.

Now that we got Cameron hooked and reeled in, we don't have to be nice to him anymore.

Seriously though, racing can be much more fun than HPDE. We are glad that you joined our race group and from here on out, you can only get faster and have more fun.

FYI, Thunderhill Raceway gates closes at 12 midnight. Ivan and I found out after dropping off our cars there at 11:45pm and when we were leaving at 12:10am, the gates were closed and chained up. We thought we were locked in but I noticed that the lock was hooked but not locked so I was able to let ourselves out. What a relief!
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7295

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hey Cameron,

You did great and I'm glad you had a fun.
Ron's working on the report and I'm sorting thru the pictures.
We'll try to have something out after we get off of work.
--Ken

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7299

• pixrken
Thank you Ron Dale for writing such a excellent race report and David Saliba for all the great pictures!
Thanks to all the racers for a fun filled weekend!

Race report here.
--Ken

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7300

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Wow!!! After reading Rons report I feel like I really missed out. Heck I know I missed out.

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. I wish our races were not always so close to each other on the calender.

Maybe I can get up there in Oct and give Rick and Sid a run for their money.

Congrats to all the racers, you guys were tearing it up.

Does anyone know if we can still use out of region points for the regional championship?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Thunderhill April 24th-25th 14 years ago #7308

• pixrken
Hi Charlie,

You cannot use arbitrary out of region points for regional championships BUT specific crossover events can be setup for this.

I talk to Tim Comeau about the feasibility of a NorCal/SoCal four race (two weekend) series with one event in NorCal and one event in SoCal.
I'm thinking October in NorCal and November in SoCal because:

1. The October "Porsches at the Point" NorCal event would give SoCal racers a chance to participate in a CASH prize race.
2. November in Buttonwillow will extend the season for both regions because season points would mostly have been wrapped up already. It gives folks a reason to come out for the last event of the year.
3. Out of region points would count for each respective regional championships. I'm sure we can push this thru with Jerry Kunzman and Ryan Flaherty.
4. Chance to cross mingle between SoCal/NorCal groups and a larger combined grid.
5. Bragging rights of "California Champion" and a trophy.

Possible problems I see are:
1. It's right after Nationals in Sept. and SoCal folks that went to Nationals blown their traveling budget.
This might be true for some but others who did not go to Nationals because of distance or expense might find it cheaper to go to Sears and it'll be their big race.
2. Racers that are in tight points battle might try to game it by running at their local event and score more points in a smaller grid while the rest of the group is in another region.

Charlie, Tim;
Talk with the rest of the SoCal guys and see what they think.
NorCal guys, what do you think about this series?
--Ken
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds