Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Tires!!!!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Tires!!!!

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16100

Yep, I can't get over 3 either - maybe it is an early/late thing? Not sure we need that much in back?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16109

Since 2005 I found -3.5 front and -3.1 rear with the rear sway bar on the edge of the bar on the loose side and the front was one inch from loose, to be where I like it, mostly neutral to a bit of over steer. Then Charlie mentioned for the new tires -4 front with -3 rear and that was way loose, I couldn't loosen the rear sway bar any more and didn't want to tighten the front bar at the track.

So my reasoning for the increasing the rear camber was to keep it close to the front camber and now have increased both sway bars about an inch, so this weekend will be an experiment which I hate to do, but have room for sway bar adjustment. I will not mess with the rear camber at the track, So I hope it works.

I love changing spec tires every couple of years and finding new set ups
Norman #99

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16125

Hmmm, I switched from my Weltmeister rear bar back to my M030 on full tight for this weekend at Laguna. I've found I'm getting too much oversteer and I was faster in general with the M030. I had the Weltmeister all the way out where the end links were 1/2 off the bar.

I'm running -3.5F and -2.5R camber with a little toe out front and neutral rear. I don't think I could achieve -3 rear camber.

I guess I'm experimenting this weekend too. I haven't seen any strange tire wear but I haven't run a lot on RRs yet either.

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16127

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I ran my 924s car with no rear bar and set lots of track records that way.
I think Everett may have the bar hooked up now due to the RR tire.
Might be worth looking at.
I currently run my front and rear Welt bars at 50%
Seems to be working good right there.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16131

Spent the day at Laguna with Hooked On Driving, the car felt good to me, but I don't have any times to compare it to, no 944's today, but it seemed to be neutral, there are so many pucker factor turns I didn't have the gonads to push it to the limit, I was on used RA1's. But it is a fun track and will be blast with 14 of us dicing it up!

Thanks for the seat back brace Charlie, hope it never has to be used
Norman #99

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 10 months ago #16132

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I'm getting ready for Laguna this weekend so I was cleaning the car and checking everything out. I took off the new set of RR's and put the split set back on but cross rotated. I'm feeling very leery about a 1/2 inch tread gap that is now on my left front!

Anyway, I took a look at the new tires that have just 3 sessions on them and were brand new sticker tires bought and mounted that weekend and what did I find? You guessed it, a split! Not a bad one, just a shadow of a line but really?

Now I hate to be the negative one, I really do but doesn't this seem ridiculous? Am I overreacting? To my reasoning, if a tire tread is splitting that means it is separating. And if it's separating it's coming apart. Will it stop at a certain gap? I doubt it. It will continue until it fails which could lead to something bad.

I know that you have to be on top of your car and the little details if you want to win, and part of that now includes checking your tires, which I did before and after the race. I didn't see any signs of separation. I believe that after the tire cools it starts to split. Again, that means the tread is moving around while racing and that aint good!

Now we talk a lot about safety here and at the track. Personally I have invested money beyond what is required by rule to make sure I come home from the track every weekend safe and sound. I recently ditched the 10 year old fiberglass seat for a full containment halo seat to protect my neck. I had footwell bars welded in on the drivers side to help make sure I can get up and dance after a crash! I also replace my belts every season and window net every other. The car gets a once over before every race weekend checking for anything loose. I have a fire system pointed at me and a fire extinguisher for anything else. I practice getting out in a hurry before putting the car in the trailer EVERY race weekend(it's tough with the new seat and HANS but if you talk to the track safety crews they will tell you they don't pull burned bodies out of cars, they usually are head and neck trouble)! I just replaced my 15 year old firesuit this last weekend because washing wears out the old one making it less effective.

I do all this so I can push hard to try and run with Jim Foxx, Steve Lewis, and Charlie Buzzetti. But now I have no faith whatsoever in the tires

Personally I think we should all as a collective voice make sure NASA and Toyo hear us and our concerns but I realize I may be in the minority. I am writing to Toyo to let them know that I value their support and appreciate their products but whole heartedly believe enough isn't being done to make sure we are safe and can go home to see our families after trusting our lives and livelihood to this tire. I would urge y'all to decide if you feel safe, and if not send a letter of your own. Together they may listen.

Thanks
Ron
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds