Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New guy from AZ
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New guy from AZ

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 3 months ago #3165

Randy I created this cost sheet a couple years ago, but it still is about right.

I run pump gas as do most drivers so 20-25 gallons of pump gas will get you through most weekends.

We race about once per month in cool season like now. There is usally at least one free weekend between races, but mostly 2 or 3 weekends. Most cars don't need any work between races. Just gas and go once the car is fully sorted.

NASA has a program that can take brand new guys with no track experience and get them racing. It can take from as little as a couple of months to a couple years to be ready to race. You start out in HPDE 1 with a driving instructor and then progress as you skills allow for in to the higher HPDE groups. All you need is a street car for HPDE. You don't need a race car for this. Once you have demonstrated an ability to drive on the track you can take a competition school which will set you up for racing.

As for spectators the bridge at PIR is the best place to get a view of the action. At firebird you can only the the main straight which is the most boring part of the track.

If you drop by at a good time as a 944 driver for a ride. Most have passenger's seats and are willing to take some out for a few laps in street car group.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 3 months ago #3195

• Big Dog
  • Banned
My take on the racing is that NASA loves to get guys in the HPDE stuff and they stay there for awhile. Since you have raced bikes, you would proably be bored with the HPDE after a day or two. You can bypass the HPDE stuff and take a two day SCCA school or another school type course with a rented car and get a comp license that way.

Come out and spend some time with us. Find Joe again and Glen. Glen may have a car you can rent. You will enjoy it.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 3 months ago #3198

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Big Dog wrote:
My take on the racing is that NASA loves to get guys in the HPDE stuff and they stay there for awhile. Since you have raced bikes, you would proably be bored with the HPDE after a day or two. You can bypass the HPDE stuff and take a two day SCCA school or another school type course with a rented car and get a comp license that way.

Come out and spend some time with us. Find Joe again and Glen. Glen may have a car you can rent. You will enjoy it.

Big Dog

Ya, NASA has no problem filling up the HPDE groups so I don't think it's necessarily intentional to keep folks there, it's just hard to get evaluations done because they're always way busy.
I spent all last season in HPDE and would recommend you look into something like www.drivingconcepts.com/ for more of a shortcut for someone with your background. They're in So Cal but at $495, less than the price of 2 HPDE weekends, you could have a provisional license and be racing.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 3 months ago #3202

Well let me say the reason guys spend time in HPDE is that learning the basics oh high performance driving is critical to racing. When I go racing I want to race with people that can handle themselves on the track and generally know what they are doing. I started in DE and work my way up to racing. I am glad I did since I would never have been able to learn the basic skills of driving in the race group.

So I don't know your driving skill level and you may be quite good. However one reason for the HPDE program to provide each racer a foundation of basic driving skills so that when they go racing they can focus on the racing not learning to heel & toe or how to properly apex a corner.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 2 months ago #3546

• FoFiddy
  • Drivers Ed
Hi Guys, Thanx for all the responses to my previous questions... Now guess what? I have more!!!!

Does NASA recognize and accept a license from www.drivingconcepts.com/ ?

What is the best year for a race car?

944S or 944 or 924 or 924S?

Can you take stock '88 parts and bolt them on to a '84 or anything like that? Is that legal? I still don't know much about 944's or your rules yet, but i image certain model years had some upgraded or different components.

If you can switch stuff around.. What is the OPTIMUM car setup?? What years and what components to make a top spec racer?? (i surely won't be starting out that way, but will want to continually upgrade the car when time and $$ allow.)

Would friday march 6th at PIR be a good day to show up with my helmet and maybe catch a lap or 2 as a passenger?? I'll flip for some gas $$!!

Thanx guys.

Re:New guy from AZ 15 years, 2 months ago #3547

we really work hard to not have a "best year" car. That said the high speed tracks like Cal speedway might favor the 924S. But the 924S does not have the track width the 944 has. The 87/88 944 has better lower A arms but the frame is heavy... the non sun roof cars have maybe a stiffer frame but the sunroof cars could be built with a lighter insert. etc etc etc.

Optimum setup. will be a car that finishes every race. Michelle Dirks's car (#77 RMR) was built for a total cost of less than $6,000 and it won 4 races in 2008. including a cross over weekend !
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds