Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Valve Spring Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Valve Spring Question

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3648

• comatb
  • Junior Racer
I agree with allowing Turbo valve springs. I don't believe that the engine horsepower would increase with higher rpm as the stock systems limiting factor is air and fuel. I have yet to see a dyno sheet show increased horsepower at high rpm on a legal Spec motor.

No rules creep, just smart equal reliability at a low cost.

Bill
#211 Eastern Canada, Great Lakes Region

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3649

comatb wrote:
I agree with allowing Turbo valve springs. I don't believe that the engine horsepower would increase with higher rpm as the stock systems limiting factor is air and fuel. I have yet to see a dyno sheet show increased horsepower at high rpm on a legal Spec motor.

No rules creep, just smart equal reliability at a low cost.

Bill

Okay, but what about the guy, with limited funds, who just spent his race budget to do a rebuild on his motor. Then we allow the Turbo springs. Now he has to go into the motor, and change his springs because everyone else has them. This is an added expense that he may not need. Lets say that we don't mandate the springs, just allow them. This same racers goes out and finishes second in a close race with a guy who has these Turbo springs. Do you not think for a minute that it is going to be in his mind that he may have lost that race because of the springs that he couldn't afford to change? It is a variable that does NOT need to be added to the 944-SPEC platform. If you want to mix and match engine parts, there is another series for that, and it aint 944-SPEC. Finally, we can go through the rules and add literally hundreds of parts that offer NO performance advantage but would add cost to the series. This is not the 944-SPEC design. 944-SPEC HAS GOT TO STAY STOCK TO SURVIVE. Keep it simple, keep it affordable or go race somewhere else. There are others that have raced for years without the turbo springs and I am sure they will continue to race for years without them.

Rant off
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3677

What would you guys say to a rule that, as a consequence, allows any part in the motor?

Don’t like the idea yet? What if that rule got all of us even on power?
512 707-8869

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3678

SvoChuck wrote:
joepaluch wrote:
I have heard of a number of valve spring fail over the years. I believe that only happens on 20 year old stock valves after an untold number of hours.

from this statement I would say we all need new valve springs. our cars are more than 20 years old. and have "untold" hours on them.

Is there a "low cost equal" way of doing this Joe ? or is that not what you were saying.

Chuck my point is that nothing tells me a stock valve spring won't last or work for racing. I can say that old parts fail. It happens and when it does usally the motor goes soft. So you pull the head replace the valve spring pair (remember there is an inner and outer) and be on your merry way. You can replace all to be proactive, but it is not needed. I don't believe I have ever seen a new one fail. So I would expect the new stock valve sprigns to last for many years of racing. If they failed every year there would be a reason to change, but if you get 2-3 20 year old ones failing out of 15-30 cars it is not big deal.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3679

Also lets remember that for 2009 there is no chnage.

We can discuss things for 2010, but if we are making a change there better be a darn good reason. Over the years watching this series grow from nothing the biggest issues we have had have been around changes.

So any change needs to be evaluated proper.

Any new allowance needs data to support. Why? What cost beneft? What risks? Most importantly how can it be distorted such that while simple in intent it unwitting opens the flood gate to soemthing we don't want.

Any new restriction needs to be understood as to how it will impact current racers as well as future racers.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3680

Karl, I know where your're going with this .
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds