Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Valve Spring Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Valve Spring Question

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3700

Typically you need to be an outlier in some significant way, or on a repeated basis to warrent a teardown. They are not done in an arbitrary way, like checking weight after a race. The big stick analogy is appropriate. If you're legal, your chances of a teardown are exceedingly small, especially on a regional level.

[Have a seat while iI get on [i]my[/i] "soap box" )

The directors, as a group are inherently conservative because of our mission to keep this a driver's class, not a "part's hangers" class. We don't want uncertainty about what the best parts, set-up, car, etc. is, because it takes away from the purity of the series as a driver's series. Being low cost is also a big part of that - you may be out-driven, but not out-spent! Even the perception/question about a performance advantage can tarnish this. If the "fast guy" has part "X" and I don't, it must make him faster than me, and therefore I need that part. Even though it's almost always not the case, it's very damaging to series moral for this thinking to go on. We all seen it happen (Michael maybe a bit more than the rest of us ) In Spec, that should not be a question, it should only be "how is driving better than I" & how can I learn what he does to make myself a better driver." Any allowed mod, no matter how simple, has the potential to create this sort of division, and needs to have a very clear & deep justification to make for a rules change. As it's clear by now, we take this very seriously.

This driver focus is why we (the series directors) freely share car set-ups, driving tips, data acquisition, and info on car preparation. We want to develop the best skilled, safest and closest racing drivers out there. It makes for great racing, and an exceptional "Esprit de Corps" This was exemplified to a tee at the National Miller event last year. There was no accusations of cheating, protests, arguments, etc., just a great group of guys helping each other go faster, and having a great time doing it. Norm won because he was the best, fastest driver there, on that day, not because he had any secrets. He helped many of his competitors "find the line" at Miller, and still won, earning everyone's respect. This is the 944 Spec model, the "way it should be"

If developing as a driver in a fun, economical & challenging environment is your goal, 944 Spec is your series. If developing your car to the "next level" is your thing, than a series like GTS or Cup is for you. Not right or wrong, but clearly different!

P.S. BJ, (thread starter) is a model 944 Spec racer, who I've had the pleasure of racing with all year. This thread has turned very philosophical, and should in no way reflect badly on him - he's a stand-up guy. BJ has made some well reasoned points, but like any other rules change request, will face a very tough challenge to be adopted into the rules!

One of BJ's finer moments with us last season - taking off his Rookie sticker :
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 2 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3701

I second BJ is a great guy and I am trying to get him a 944-spec Series Director job in Texas.

As for teardowns . A full topend tear down should be expected at Nationals. The top 4 should be ready to pull everything to the head. It's the big show. I will be there to help tear apart and if needed put back together.

We will not be alone at Nationals folks there will be drivers and cars we have never seen before. All of them are welcome to bring there legal iron to the fight ! I would also say that there is a GREAT chance that we not SM will be the largest class at Nationals. So think about what our winner could earn. $$$

WOO HOO !

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3703

OH MY GOD!! That is the GREATEST "captured in the moment" pic I have ever seen!! He has NO idea what is about to happen and you guys caught it!

I had to do this:

MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3704

Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 2 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3705

I love how in the second frame he is STILL holding on to the "R"
DEDICATION!!!
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Valve Spring Question 15 years, 2 months ago #3708

I like the "Despair" type poster - too funny!

I had a patient come in the Friday for that race who is a professional photographer. He thought it'd be cool to do a day with cars, and took 700+ pictures through the day, most of us having fun in the pits, but also doing some "mock racing" on the track. We made it happed that very weekend!

Horatio is a great guy!

Here's his website: www.timestilling.com

Here's a selection of his pics from the event: http://sterlingdoc.smugmug.com/gallery/...BwLb#412729036_4Abx3
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds