Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Sway Bay Tech
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Sway Bay Tech

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 8 months ago #16356

• Big Dog
  • Banned
From what I found, the rear bar arm length is very limited due to the angle of the down link. It is too close to the arm so, with a setting at either end of the arm, the link was at a severe angle. Lengthening the down link lowered the arm lower than I was ever comfortable with.

I do not run Welty's on either car.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 8 months ago #16358

There is a lot that enters into adjustments, including spring choices, amount of lock up on the LSD, track particulars, driver preference, etc.

With a McPherson strut up front, roll is generally undesirable, as it leads to camber loss, a bit more in the early offset cars with the shorter a-arm. The RR's seem to need more camber, as well, so I'd be cautious about making a bar too soft. On the other hand Tarret's at full stiff in the front, can crack a steel a-arm pretty quickly if it's not carefully box welded. Tarret hardware is very nice - much better than the Welt in that way.

FWIW, I run slightly on the stiff side of mid-ways front and rear on my Tarrets as a baseline, and then adjust to the track. I have 400# front springs, and 30mm solid rear torsions. Just changing fluid in my LSD to one w/o the LSD friction modifier changes the handling balance quit a bit, I've found (by accident).

BTW, great to see the free flow of information here!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 5 months ago #16884

What was the nature of the change in handling when you changed the fluid in the diff and what did you change from and change to? With the suspension adjustments being as limited as they are I'm always interested in hearing about anything that may change the handling characteristics.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 5 months ago #16885

On a clutch type diff,like the OEM LSD, removing the friction modifier will increase the amount of lock up in the diff. This resists turning (the extreme eaxmple would be a locked diff or spool), and relatively more understeer. Pro teams will fine tune handling with adding in little bits of friction modifier. In our cars, the OEM LSD isn't strong enough to make a dramatic difference. They syncros sure liked leaving out the friction modifier - trans shifted a bit better/smoother. Syncos need friction to work.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 5 months ago #16886

Thanks Eric. I run an OEM diff and that's good information. What fluid are you running?

I had been using Redline 75W90.

Since Royal Purple got me this nice suit I decided to try that once, too. Seems comparable.

Throwing everything off a bit, though, was that I found out my RR shock was mostly blown at Nationals. As part of tech we did a shock dyno. The report I got back was that everyone passed, but to tell the #80 guy that his RR shock is blown. Damn, that's me! This may have confounded any handling changes that I attributed to fuild changes if it had been getting worse for for some time.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Sway Bay Tech 10 years, 5 months ago #16889

spec944#74 wrote:
Thanks Eric. I run an OEM diff and that's good information. What fluid are you running?

I had been using Redline 75W90.

Since Royal Purple got me this nice suit I decided to try that once, too. Seems comparable.

Throwing everything off a bit, though, was that I found out my RR shock was mostly blown at Nationals. As part of tech, we did a shock dyno. The report I got back was that everyone passed, but to tell the #80 guy that his RR shock is blown. Damn, that's me! This may have confounded any handling changes that I attributed to fuild changes if it had been getting worse for for some time.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds