Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Transaxle Cooling
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Transaxle Cooling

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 2 months ago #17411

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
In case anyone was searching, I found an adapter that allows you to screw a temp sender into the transaxle drain plug.

www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/screw-pl...nch-npt-female-port/

I got another quote on a kit, could end up being around $650. As soon as I said I had an LSD, this salesman was confident that temps were high enough to warrant a cooler. They commonly use temp switches rated at 190F. I'm fairly certain our oil gets hotter than that, especially if you have an LSD.

Something else to think about is how now that we are going faster on stickier tires and carrying more speed through corners, how much more/harder is the LSD working? Is this going to result in an increase in oil temps which will then lead to increased wear/failure that the class on a whole wasn't seeing before on other tires?
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 2 months ago #17467

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
After doing some more shopping and asking around, Ive come up with a kit that prices in the $680 range shipped and includes everything needed except the mounting solution.

After talking to some Corvette shops (same drive train config) as well as P car shops, I think that just getting the fluid circulating and out of the box will be enough. This is why I ditched the Fan mounted cooler in the above quoted setup in favor of a 25 row that may or may not have air ducted to it depending on where its mounted.

Ive thought about using a naca duct in the passenger side quarter window and then routing a duct to the spare tire wheel well which is where the cooler will be mounted.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 2 months ago #17472

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Having hot oil in the spare tire area exposes it to damage in a rear ender and hot oil can burn if there is an ignition source. As I recall, NASCAR brings air in through NACA ducts in the quarter windows with an oil cooler on the floor of the car inside a sealed box. I never saw where the air exits but assumed it exited through the bottom of the car.

I don't know if that is a great idea either but they seem to use it. I would personally look for a spot that is not as easy to damage.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 2 months ago #17473

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Not sure if the danger there is any different then oil coolers mounted right up on the front bumper but I saw your point after I did some cardboard mock ups last night trying to figure out a better solution.

I have the late plastic fuel tank so I can remove the spare tire well which would make a perfect place to hang a cooler into that void and in some air flow. There aren't really many other alternatives if you leave the well in place besides what I found pictured below. What I don't like about that setup is that it places the cooler right next to the hot muffler (which I have a larger muffler then most).

One last COA that I've also seen before is to mount the cooler on the inside of the license plate area between the tail lights, then do the same NACA ducting from the passenger side quarter window. Then you just need to make sure you protect the lines, etc. accordingly based on what the CCR says.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 2 months ago #17474

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
With that setup would you be running a temp gauge and how would you plumb it? My other concern using the drain plug for plumbing is that it hangs low. A shield of some sort bolted to the tranny to protect the fitting would be a good idea, especially for those behind you!

Re: Transaxle Cooling 10 years, 1 month ago #17475

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
rd7839 wrote:
With that setup would you be running a temp gauge and how would you plumb it? My other concern using the drain plug for plumbing is that it hangs low. A shield of some sort bolted to the tranny to protect the fitting would be a good idea, especially for those behind you!

You can fit a temp switch or sending unit in line. It is an extra fitting if you use the magnetic debris filter . There is another filter that Ive looked at using that has a temp switch/sending unit pickup built into it.

As for the drain plug pick up and clearance, that is why I have thought about using a Banjo fitting there instead of a 90 degree AN fitting. Takes up less space and should be less susceptible to damage but is also another $20 over the typical AN fitting.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds