Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2668

Sterling Doc wrote:

One very nice side benefit of the new rules allowing the instrument cluster to be deleted is it greatly simplifies wiring.

I missed something....what new rules ??

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2669

Eric knows of some of the clarifications we are making . Joe has it in my court and soon it will be out to everyone. No real changes just putting to words what is allowed and not.

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2670

dmdirks wrote:

Oh, yeah- she also wants silver flames on the sides...

She could have the magnetic flames off of y car in the picture
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2676

SvoChuck wrote:
Eric knows of some of the clarifications we are making . Joe has it in my court and soon it will be out to everyone. No real changes just putting to words what is allowed and not.

Yep,
Eric sort of let the cat out a bit, but for 2009 the rules format will be ALOT more clear on what is legal and what is not. So the new rules clearly state you can removed XXX, but not YYY. Before this it was sort of "understood". We that just is not fair to the new guys and many here have requested clarifications over the year. The instrument cluster was a gray area ("what does INTACT mean anyway) so we have attempted to make it crystal clear what is and is NOT allowed and be realistic about building and maintaining the cars.

The intent is no changes to cars for 2009, but it may take a bit longer to get them published out for 2009 since we need to make sure all the new wording is good and does not create any new issues.

Again one point to make is that official we are still in a rules freeze for 2009. That is the last year of our 3 year freeze so no changes only clarfications or safety related stuff. That is why there was not "open for debate" rules. We will have proposal and debate period for 2010 rules. Even so I would not plan on big changes in 2010 either as I think we are narrowing in on a good rule set.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2678

Thanks Joe, I'll wait to see the "new" language. Since my dash is still quite ugly, Eric's reference got my attention.

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 4 months ago #2762

Sometimes it's the little things...

While the car has been pretty solid, and with more good surprises than bad, the dynomat laid down by the p.o. has been a bear. It sticks like glue, and heating it from above turned the tar part of the dynomat into something resembling crude oil, but stickier, leaving this on the floor...

After some trial and error, we found that heating the backside of the metal works better. You can se the heatgun poking into the passenger side sill, to heat it from the inside out. This turns the tar into a bubble-gum consistancy - kind of like pulling bubble gum off of your shoe:

It is getting better, though, with brake-cleaner, and a charcoal mask, the foam stuff came up from the tunnel finally :

On to some nicer stuff!

Here's what trolling the internet finds you, lightly used, but cheap! :D

It's nice to have a retired German Engineer as a father - here's the drawing of the second-generation aluminum dash (1st one was in my last car):

So far, we've just formed some brackets and supports for what will be an all-aluminum dash:

The build continues...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 4 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds