Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12126

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Is it possible to build a motor with high compression 88 pistons and a max shaved head? Would the valves hit? Is there enough clearance? What would the HP TQ numbers be on a motor like this? Would a motor like this be legal, or too much compression? Would that be above the 10.5 to 1 compression?
Too many questions!!
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12127

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
My last car was a 924s with 88 motor. At the 2010 Nationals it was tested on the machine to determine combustion volume that was then converted into compression ratio.
It was determined that that motor averaged out at 10.5:1 compression.
It tested over once, under once and at 10.5:1.
I do not remember the exact thickness of the head but it was deemed to thin after the head thickness rule came into effect.
The was no issues with the valves touching the head. And that was with new valve seats. The motor was built by Rusikof in Ca. He had done many of the motors for the POC guys in 944.
At Miller I believe that the car chassis dynoed out at 138 RWHP and 140 TQ.
I do not know what HP and TQ numbers the DA system that NASA was using at Nationals was.
But I am sure that Ryan has that info.
That particular car has tested as high as 145 RWHP at Buttonwillow in Ca. With the same configuration.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12128

Dave,

So your Nationals motor had a 6R head?
If so, they're obviously capable of making good HP.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12129

Ken,

There is a different max shave spec for low compressin, and high compression cars in the rules. A head shaved to the max by the low compression piston limit, would results in a compression of well over 10.5:1 if put on a motor with high compression pistons.

The more you shave the head, the closer the valves com to the piston, regardless of wether it's a 9.5 or 10.2 piston. The bigger dish on the 9.5 pistons is not in a place that it adds valve clearance.

Putting new valve seat in, as Charlie mentions, can make the valves stick out more into the combustion chamber as well, but that is a separate issue from shaving the head.

A max shaved head for a LC pistons, with new valves seats would cause the most risk for piston to valve contact.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12130

BJ, here is a link to the dyno results from the best motors at Nationals.

944 Spec Dynos

The identifiers are cryptic to keep them anonymous. If you click on the "chart 1" tab, it will take you to a plot of the dynos from 4K RPM. Any dyno that has an "H" by it is a 10.2 motor car. "L" identifies the 9.5:1 piston cars. The "merge" graphs are all of the HC, and LC cars averaged, respectively. Chart 2 compares the averages of the best two LC cars, with best two HC cars.

My car, is the "0L" line (since it's mine, I'm free to disclose that) It's a little busy, but you can see it's the second highest point at 4K RPM, but drops off dramatically at high RPM. The other LC cars had 8R heads, mine had a 6R head.

This would seem to support your theory, however, Dave Dirk's results would not be consistant with that. I'll let Dave fill in the details of his results, if he feels comfortable with that.

Had I put my car on the dyno before Nationals, I would have spent some time seeing if I could tune up this curve, but I did not. Behind the wheel my car ran fine, and certainly turned in very competitive lap times, though it did seem to give up something on the top end, but then we all feel the other guy has a little more motor, right?
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12131

RacerX wrote:
Is it possible to build a motor with high compression 88 pistons and a max shaved head? Would the valves hit? Is there enough clearance? What would the HP TQ numbers be on a motor like this? Would a motor like this be legal, or too much compression? Would that be above the 10.5 to 1 compression?
Too many questions!!

The 88 motor is 10.2:1 from the factory. The rules allow all motors to be raised to 10.5:1 max, regardless of where they started. There is a different minimum thickness when using 88 pistons vs. low compression pistons.

-bj

edit: Just saw that Kuhns answered this already.
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by loftygoals. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds