Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12142

joepaluch wrote:
Bad things can result. Nothing terminal, but it is a pain.

Bad, as in it doesn't always real well? That's not so bad. Actually these car idle very well with this stuff removed. And again, it's an issue for people that have updated/backdated electronics without changing the wiring harness. Additionally, there are 4 hose end to secure and although they usually fail closed, it could fail open causing a massive vacuum leak. I just think it is subjective.

dmdirks wrote:
...so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Yeah but with a spec series, are goal is to make apples and oranges all taste like bananas.

dmdirks wrote:
I'm not sure we can isolate the ports in the 6R head as the cause for your power drop-off at high rpm.

Agreed, there are lots of variables even going down to how tight the production tolerances for Porsche were. If we get enough data, we can start to develop trends. Eric's motor may be a statistical anomaly. We won't know until we get more data. I do feel that my assessment of the 6R head is pretty spot on--high torque, low peak hp, increasing A/F in the upper RPM. What I can't tell you is if this explains everything or how significant the differences with the 6R head should or could be. Everything I know about the performance of the 6R head is anecdotal.

dmdirks wrote:
BJ- may I ask how were the volumes of the ports measured? If this was done with the valves installed, different valve types and seat heights will affect this measurement.

I did the comparison using a complete 6R and 8R head. Only one of each was measured, so it's not a much of a sampling. I used the simplest and most repeatable method I could come up with using the tools I had for the job--which were none. I used a syringe to fill the ports with water tracking the mls added. I did this 5 times per port and averaged the results. Each head was secured at the same angle with the port opening parallel to the ground. I confirmed this with an electronic level. All ports and readings were within 2 ml, so I think the process was very repeatable. (1 ml = 1 cc)

Additionally, I spoke with Mike Lindsay a couple of weeks ago when looking for a replacement head for a customer. Mike confirmed that there is a significant difference. They have measured the port volume on tons of these heads over the years. Mike said they won't even accept a 6R head as a core because they are so inferior to the 8R.

Again, I don't know how this translates into real world performance numbers. We could be talking 2 hp or 10 hp. Until more data is collected, we just won't know.

The right way to find out would be to spend a day on an engine dyno testing the same motor with both heads. I'm not sure any of us has the time or resources to make this happen, though.
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by loftygoals.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12144

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I wonder if this is how Spec Miata got started?

How can you tell the difference between the 6 & 8 heads? Is there a stamping number? Was it produced in certain years? Does anyone have some pics of the differences?
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12145

RacerX wrote:
I wonder if this is how Spec Miata got started?

That's why I'm openly sharing all this information, so we don't have any motor secrets in the class.

RacerX wrote:
How can you tell the difference between the 6 & 8 heads? Is there a stamping number? Was it produced in certain years? Does anyone have some pics of the differences?

It's a casting number on the intake side of the head towards the front of the car. You should be able to see it with the intake on. It's the last two digits of the first string of casting numbers.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12147

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Hmm, is there just the 2, cause I have a 7. Must be the top secret prototype that Porsche secretly made, and worth a small fortune in the racers market.

Did they start out with 6 and update to 7 then made some more revisions and change it to 8 and 8 is the last reversion or are there more?

PIC_4908.JPG

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12148

Here's a pelican parts forum post from Nick at Bennington Motorsports.

many944s wrote:
There are really only 4 different types of 8v heads out there:
1- the 951 head with ceramic ports
2- the very early '83 head with a 1/2" "surface area cooling hole" located between the #2 & #3 spark plug holes (only seen twice)
3- the '84 head with a turbulence notch in the intake ports to assist A/F mixing
4- the plain old run of the mill N/A head with no distinct features.

I believe the corresponding numbers are:

1 - 951.104.303.1R - 944 Turbo
2 - 944.104.303.6R - 944 NA 1983
3 - 944.104.303.7R - 944 NA 1984
4 - 944.104.303.8R - 944 NA 1985-1988 & 924S 1986-88

Personally, I've never gotten my hands on a 7R. I know the the 6R heads have the - notch in the intake port floor that Nick mentions on the 1984 head, too.

-bj
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by loftygoals.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12149

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Gee that's funny, I have an 84 head on a 85.5 car.

Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds