Username Password: Remember me

2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12072

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
The is no doubt in my mind the fast guys will still win. This should help to close the gap. This is a drivers class. A well prepared and well driven car will be on the podium.

We cannot make a mid pack driver better than he is by force. This is something that takes lots of time and practice days with the intent and a developement program to get better. The is no better way to do this that I know of. And even with all of that there is no guarentee that he will be a top tier driver.

Adding 100 lbs at a time is too drastic IMO because that requires a different setup. i think a maximum weight penalty per weekend with a cap of 150 lbs or so would be better. It would require everyone who is a contender for a top 5 finish to be prepared to add weight to their car. It would require the car to be scaled and certified by the regional director and it would need to have a window sticker with the minimum weight stated on it.

It is a system that does work. Otherwise the pro ranks would be doing something else.

The is no way to accomodate a driver who is not up to full speed. I believe that most of these drivers know this already and are willing to put in the effort to get better. Believe me it takes time. Be patient, work hard, learn to set up your car and figure out what adjustments you need to make to the car to go faster.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12075

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:
The is no doubt in my mind the fast guys will still win. This should help to close the gap. This is a drivers class. A well prepared and well driven car will be on the podium.

We cannot make a mid pack driver better than he is by force. This is something that takes lots of time and practice days with the intent and a developement program to get better. The is no better way to do this that I know of. And even with all of that there is no guarentee that he will be a top tier driver.

I agree, the best thing is seat time.

cbuzzetti wrote:
Adding 100 lbs at a time is too drastic IMO because that requires a different setup. i think a maximum weight penalty per weekend with a cap of 150 lbs or so would be better. It would require everyone who is a contender for a top 5 finish to be prepared to add weight to their car. It would require the car to be scaled and certified by the regional director and it would need to have a window sticker with the minimum weight stated on it.

It is a system that does work. Otherwise the pro ranks would be doing something else.

All you would need is a standard set of weights mounted in a standard location across all cars. This way the weights could be removed from your car and installed in mine in a matter of minutes. No need to certify cars either, min weight is 2600lbs. If you finish first you get a 100lbs weight penality. Your car must scale at 2700 + lbs or your DQ'd. Simple and easy. The not so easy part would be how much weight do you add to try to level the field.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12077

Hey Ken- had some Pizza from your place tonight - man is that good stuff!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12078

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
There is no way to level the field and no reason to do that. If a guy wants a better car within the rules then so be it. I have not heard of any cars that do not fit within the rules.

There is no way a new driver with a slow car should be as fast as a seasoned driver with a great car. That is a recipe for disaster. There will be lots of contact due to lack of skill and racing technique.

I am certain that the guys at the top of the heap have many years experience and put in the time to get there. I know my personal journey has been 15 great years. About half of that has been in entry level spec classes. It is the best way to go racing IMO.

There will always be tinkerers and guys who like their cars to be the best possible inside of the rules. There will also be the guys who are satisfied being mid pack and get everything they need and want in that position. All drivers should earn their finishing position based on skill and car preperation. Financial ability will always be a factor in racing. Some guys can afford to have their stuff professionally prepared others take pride in doing it themselves. Some can afford to always have premium tires others are just getting by from race to race. Just the facts of life. We all have to deal with it.

If the data proves that there needs to be a competition adjsutment then a power to weight ratio would be the best way to do that.

The fine points of where to put the weight and how to administrat it should be another discussion when we get to that point.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12079

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Spec911 in PRC also use rewards weight. I can ask them how they handle it if we want.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 5 months ago #12080

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Hey Ken- had some Pizza from your place tonight - man is that good stuff!

Thanks, You should have called me. I stayed at home to help Pat as she is only 2 weeks out of the hospital. Don't forget I have your Porsche seat for your chair project.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds