TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12162

What about using a turbo cam?
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12164

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I don't if this helps cause it's just a picture but here are a few of the intake on my R7 head...

PIC_5052.JPG

PIC_5056.JPG

PIC_5088.JPG
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12165

BJ,

Thanks for all the pics, and thoughts - this has been a very constructive, and interesting thread by all involved. It might be good to summarize some of this, and put it into a tech page.

NASA will help us test some of these issues, which is great. We really need to think through the details so we get good data.

First, we need to make sure we use good examples of the various motor configurations, and make sure they're tuned properly. We also need to make sure they're as similar as possible in ways other than what we are testing.

As I see it, we have at least 5 issues to settle:

1. High vs low compression pistons
2. Effects of head shaving
3. Effects of varying cam timing on a shaved head
4. 6R vs 8R head. If we can get a 7R head to look at, we'll see how similar it is to the 6R and 8R versions, but will have to make some assumptions, as testing yet another head becomes impractical.
5. '88 computer vs. earlier models

This is a lot to look into, and we need to do it right.

It would be nice to swap all the head configurations onto one motor, but that may not be practical, and certainly could not be done in one day.

Right now we're looking at gathering the various options, and waiting on some motors to be built, so it will be a while, but we are hoping to gather some good data on what really matters in a Spec motor.

If cam timing turns out to be the big factor, than some sort of correction would be in order - offset key or adjusted cam gear.

If pistons, or the heads turn out to be the big deal, than we may make a competition adjustment. This could be a weight adjustment, allowing a specific "spec" chip that makes up the power deficit, or other approach at balanceing this out.

If the different computers make a big difference, we may restrict that in the rules, or allow a spec chip to equalize this.

Lots to be determined!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12169

This is all very good stuff! Thanks for the pictures and information.

One comment on adjustable cam gears - Charlie has posted several times that John Milledge has tried indexing cams to positions other than stock and that stock is the best power output. If verified true, adjustable cam gears could be made legal as there would be no gain in adjusting cam timing unless re-establishing stock timing due to a shaved head/block/cam tower.

Is it possible to deck the block enough to meaningfully raise compression on these engines? Would that be a financially viable substitute for head shaving that when using the late head with LC pistons would yield the best of both worlds (combustion chamber shape + compression) without HC pistons? Does the head thickness check take into account block decking?

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12170

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
Since I have the LC pistons with the late shaved head, and it's the engine that partially prompted a lot of BJ's discussion, I'm happy to donate my car for dyno testing if it will help resolve some data collection as I won't be using it from January thru mid July.

BJ will likely have it at his shop anyway.
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by B1BFlyer.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Proposals Decisions 12 years, 6 months ago #12171

Here's a shot of my new head being prepped for next year:

Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds