Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14497

Best source I could find was here: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

It lists the 15x7 Cookie at 6.9kg, and the 15x7, late offset phone dial at 7.0kg. Anyone have another reference?

Any other opinions on these things?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14504

• Big Dog
  • Banned
If it is .1 kg, it is not worth talking about, Mr. Director.

We weighed them a year or so ago when this came up. I was talking with Dave H. Arizona, just today about this. He recalled that they were 2 pounds, or so, different but it will be easy enough to weigh one each.

I do not have any cookie cutters so someone else will need to put them on the scales. I will call Dave and see if he can do it and let us all know.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14510

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
We recently dismounted and weighed an early offset phone dial and cookie cutter. The early offset phone dial was about 2 lbs heavier. We never weighed a late offset wheel.

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14511

• Big Dog
  • Banned
That is more in keeping with what Dave Hauck and I recalled from a year or so when we checked the two. Dave has both and is going to weigh them. He will need to take them someplace because he only has his corner balance scales that weigh in 1 pound increments. I suggested something better than bath room scales.

My guess is that the late offset weighs more that the early offset in order to make the wheel stronger because of the bigger offset but until we have good weights, we will not know for sure.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14512

I'll get actual weights in a couple of days on these wheels. Big Dog, if you are proposing a rules change, you must be specific about what you want, and justify it in light of the 1st post:

Reasoning for change MUST include at least 1 of the following:
---------->a) Will decrease series cost because…
---------->b) Will increase series growth because…
---------->c) Will improve competition because…
---------->d) Will provide more clarity because...
---------->e) Will improve reliability because...

HINT – Requests which score points in multiple categories will have better chances of being accepted than those which score points in 1 category (or worse yet, go against the reasonings above.)
Notice that "this will work out better for me" is not on the list!

-------------------

Keep in mind also that late offset cars have won 3 National Championships.
Also some of this difference will be attenuated by the dyno cap, as power is measured including the inertial weight of the drive wheels. You can tune to the same power output at the ground.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 5 months ago #14515

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Based on what you are saying here about the dyno equalizing the HP and accounting for rotating mass then there is no basis for a wheel rule.

Looking for reasons to add rules does not promote rules stability. If we get in the habit of adding new rules every year for no real reason we are going to push people away from this class.

This part of the car does not have an issue. I will agree there is a HP variation between cars and the HP cap does have merit. All the rest of this stuff is fluff. We do not have an overall weight, wheel, shock, Headlight cover or a trans cooler problem with these cars.

We are getting two new rules for 2013 already (tires and HP cap) that seems like enough to me.

Lets take it slow and fix things that really need fixing, not everything you can think of.

NO MORE NEW RULES!!
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion