Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16692

Jerry, as we talked about this on the phone, I like that idea as well. It is specific, workable, and doesn't affect enforcement. Is everyone OK with their numbers out there?

Logistically, we'd have to work out a few details, but I think it's doable.
We had 12 cars pulled for compliance runs at Nationals. That's 36 dyno graphs to post! If average numbers would be enough, that would be easy. Moving forward, I'll do whatever the collective minds here would like on this.

I can talk in general terms about what we saw at Nationals this year. We saw the highest numbers when the cars were hot, and we saw many cars not reach their potential when cold. We did not see cars randomly dyno'ing over the 140 hard cap. In fact, there was only one that went over, and that one did on several pulls through the week (though clearly not all of them). Of the lead pack of 4 cars, those cars dyno'd between 134 and 141 HP average. The car that was in the lead for much of Nationals consistently had the least power -between 134 and 136.

My take away is this. It is still hard to reach a 140 HP average on a Dynojet with a 944 Spec car. It is also not necessary to push the limit to be competitive.

When testing your car - do enough runs in to get everything hot and find it's potential. Then give yourself a little breathing room if needed. It's not hard to take a away a few HP. Why stress over a few HP?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16693

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
12A/B No there does not seem to be a problem to begin with. People race 924S because they prefer it over the 944 so this is one of the minor differences. I have not heard anyone prove that ram air helps performance and with a cap on horsepower why would it make any difference if it did offer better horsepower.

13 Yes if someone wants to use them and save a little weight fine they still have to get to 2600 pound minimum. I know that this allows someone to move weight around to optimize the cars handling but so be it. As a side note the Lexan has static electricity so it attracts dirt plus scratches easier.
14 No we are trying to control the costs of car prep so why allow the removal of the spare tire well. We should always attempt to minimize changes to the body of the car.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16694

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
Big Dog appreciate the post it brings so detail to the dyno issue. These rules need to be transparent, simple and consistently applied. Each region needs to apply them in the same manner and at the same time and hopefully on the same equipment.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16695

I am working my way through talking with interested parties on the phone about the dyno process - it's been very constructive so far.

Charlie & Jim - I have emails coming to you guys to find a time to talk as well.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16696

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
rd7839 wrote:
I'd say no to the two new proposals for a few reasons, the biggest of which is we would be creeping further from factory.
---- snip------

Am I the only one who wants to stay close to factory? If I am I'll be quiet. I know these are small proposals but they are starting to add up. Maybe we should start adding rules to back the cars up to where they were 6 years ago. The costs won't be too great to those who have made big changes and will be more in line with the original spec idea. Or maybe we should think about splitting into two classes, spec and sealed spec 944.

No - I'd rather stay close to factory, but I disagree with some years of 944 being allowed to remove it and others not. Rules should apply across all eligible models of the same type.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16697

I appreciate all the input here. It is nice to see so many care about the class and put the time in to make their thoughts known.

A couple of minor points of clarification:

1. The allowance to remove the rear tire well for late cars happened many years ago. There was no proposal made to take that away this year. What is on the table is whether this should continue to be limited to late cars only.

This is a good example of how rules creep happens though - one thing is allowed, and more implications and rules changes follow. Reversing these things later is tough - i.e. putting a spare tire well back in.

So, here we are - do we extend this allowance all cars, or stop the rules creep now by leaving the early cars out? No easy answer, but we have to decide.

2. There is some data to suggest that ram air makes a difference at speeds starting at 80 MPH. and increasing from there. As fast tracks, like Road America, and Cal Speedway, it is significant. If you want to go over the original data (and ram air debate with it), the thread is here: www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/general/11...we-learned-this-year We don't know if routing from the turn signal area makes a difference vs. the foglight.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds