Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16706

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Ken, to clarify. You would rather have the existing rule with late cars only cutting out the rear well, than have all cars allowed? The cat left the bag many years ago with the late cars.

Leave the rules as they stand now, we don't need to be cutting any more.
NO for #14

I've been thinking about the offset key. If I understand this correctly.......when the head is milled, it throws the timing off resulting in a loss of some HP/TQ gained by shaving the head. By installing an offset key you could restore the timing so that you gain the full advantage of the shaved head. Is this correct??? If so, could this possibly bring the HP/TQ numbers up to the cars that are running 88 pistons?? So why not let the low compression cars (non 88 pistons) run them? Would this be a pain to police? Would it have an advantage? If it made the cars more equal in terms of HP/TQ, wouldn't it save money over the need to source 88 pistons & DME??
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16707

• S2k4j
  • Junior Racer
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes
5b. No
6. No
7. Yes
8. No
9a. Yes
9b. Yes
10. Yes
11. Yes
12a. No
12b. Yes
13. Yes
14. No

I tried to make it simple.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16708

Ken,

That is the basis for the proposal as I understand it, yes. Does anyone have any data on what this means in numbers?

Does the retarding move power up in the rev band, or lose it outright, and if so how much?

How much advance (offset) is needed for a given level of shaving?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16710

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Ken,

The proposal gives low compression cars another tool to get power back to get them up to the high compression numbers. Shaving helps increase compression but looses some power because of the timing change.

It is generally accepted that our timing is great from the factory. Porsche knew what they were doing. Let those cars correct their timing back to factory.

I see no enforcement issue. There does not seem to be a timing setting that is better than factory so allowing someone to get back to or closer to factory will help a low power car perform closer to our power standard and that seems, to me, to be good. The series does not need to even be concerned with it other than allowing it. With our cap, the cap is what is important here.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: RacerX

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16711

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
When I called Jody @ Havoc motorsports to cancel my dyno apt because the rule change was not finished, we talked about the offset key. Jody use to do a lot with the 944's. They'd install an adjustable gear on the car and adjusted it till it made the most power. Remove the adjustable gear and install a custom made offset key. This would bring the HP/TQ numbers more in line with the 88 piston cars. I don't think one key size will work on all cars because of the different tolerances of each individual car. Each person would have to get their car done in this manner. But cost to do this would be way less than buying 88 pistons and ECU.

I've changed my mind about the offset key.
YES to #7 as it would help to equalize the non 88 piston cars.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16712

• Big Dog
  • Banned
New Rule Needed

All, remember Joe Blow asked to put in a hydraulic brake lock in his street/race car. It was approved but I do not recall seeing it anywhere in these proposals.

This was a lock and NOT a bias valve and that was the basis for allowing it so, perhaps, we should clean up the rules and say so.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds