Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19977

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
monterey.craigslist.org/cto/5240590857.html

If somebody back east wants the wheels I'll split the cost with you and keep the manual steering rack. I can strip it at my house and send the wheels off to you. or if it runs I'll put my phone dials on it and drive it to work.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19978

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
here's the perfect deal for anybody with phone dials they hate!
sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/wto/5296767038.html

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19979

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
I'm not overly concerned with the wheel issue but I'm with crooks if I can do something to make the car safer I want to do it. Also I hear the arguments with short shifters but to me it's the weak link in my car. Spec E30 is what I was building when I switched directions and bought a 944. It was strictly because of the great group of guys I met at the track already in 944. (It was a scam they are all a bunch of jerks ) it's honestly the worst part of the whole car for me. I don't see what the big deal is make it legal and get one if you want or don't if you don't want to spend the coin. Is it really that big of a performance advantage? I just want to have a car that shifts like a proper race car not some worn out pos. FWIW I have made every attempt to make it better under the rules with little to no improvement in feel. I'm one of the slow guys so if it doesn't pass I may still do it and you guys can just protest me at every SE round if I happen to beat you but at least I'll enjoy the race.....

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19980

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Last post, I promise(not really)! This is kind of interesting regarding crank scrapers.Our engines are obviously different but it shows what they can do
www.crank-scrapers.com/Chrysler_2-4%20_feedback.html

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19981

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
Thanks Dan for sharing this on Facebook. I probably would have missed the discussion otherwise so +1 on establishing a stronger presence on FB.

Here's my 2c on proposals so far:

Wheels - I'm for allowing alternate wheels that enhance the look of the car and weigh the same as stock. It's getting to be more of a pain to find wheels in good shape and have to paint them, etc. I have what I need for now but I could see getting a set of those new wheels for aesthetic reasons. It's like getting a new paint job, you don't have to get one but if you want a nice looking car we shouldn't be limited to original paint from 30 years ago.

Bumper shocks - The proposal sounds good to me, old parts getting harder to find.

Short shifters - I think we should leave this open to any type. These transmissions can only shift so fast as is so there isn't any performance advantage to be gained. These are 80's cars after all so might as well get a nice tight feel when driving and use any shift knob. Similar to having different steering wheels, set up the car to feel the way you want.

In my opinion the above changes are in line with the spirit of the class (affordable competitive racing) while still allowing for some driver customization and updating of items that don't enhance performance but could enhance enjoyment and aesthetic appeal to help grow the class.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19982

A few points of clarification here. I inspected the 944 that caught fire at Mid Ohio. That was a GTS car with a fiberglass bumper, which shattered, and the cornering impact penetrated to the early steel tank. This is one of the reasons I keep the heavy bumper on my ST 944. The spare tire well was not involved in that incident. The rescue was required because the driver had buckled his belts with the camlock facing in,and could get the belts undone himself. Kudos to Jim Pantas for the save.

I also am aware of the fire that resulted in the fatality, though I was not there. The driver left the pin in the fire system, and elected to drive the car to a corner station before stopping for reasons unknown. I don't believe a rear impact was involved.

Most 944 fires are from cracked fuel rails, from balance shafts that are out of time.

Fuel cells are legal FWIW.

Good to see all the input from the social media blitz. You guys are in good hands with Dan!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds