Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21201

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
One more proposal:
Allow the Only 944 rear shift linkage. I know that it is a "short Shift", but they support our group, their products are extremely high quality and their prices are very fair.

The plastic bushing in the factory rear shifter mechanism wears significantly and causes sloppy shifting (as well as the front shifter wear - we do allow the Only944 shifter). While those with use of a machine shop and skills to make one, can make a new one, the rest of us can't. I even bought a replacement bushing from Poland (at almost the price of the Only 944 complete part) to try to fix the problem after this proposal was shot down last year. The results were two failures of the mechanism during the season that cost finishing position in each race. I went back to an old, sloppy, partially worn out one. JP even lost several positions in the Western Nats due to missed shifts from a bad shifter linkage.

I believe Only 944 has stated that it is difficult to make one that is not a short shifter due to the difficult geometry. So, I would prefer to allow us to use his part specifically. I know some people say that having a short shift is an advantage. Theoretically it might be, but in the real world, I am not sure that it is. So, even if we say that it is some small advantage, it would significantly reduce missed shifts and therefore save us all money in the long run.

Summary:

1 Many of our rear shift linkages are severely worn.
2 Factory parts are NLA or extremely expensive
3 Home made fixes work for those who can make them, but not most of us
4 Eastern European or Asian parts are not good enough
5 The Only 944 Short Shift mechanism works very well and is inexpensive
6 Only 944 supports our class
7 This is NOT a required change. Only if you need a more precise shift
8 There is a small perceived performance advantage, however, it is more theoretical than real.
9 If it prevents even ONE money shift, it has paid for itself many times over!

I know this will draw a lot of fire as it did last year, but I can't find a better alternative.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21202

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Ron,
Re-read what I wrote previously. These are PROPRIETARY rims, made specifically for our class, which emulate the exact dimensions and weight of our wheels.
Throwing out the fact that Charlie used a rim that is 2" wider and 2 lbs lighter has exactly ZERO relevance to this wheel.

Although we probably cannot facilitate the weight to be exactly in the same location of the originals, I dont imagine the outer hoop to be significantly lighter than our originals- therefore increased performance from moved weight would be minuscule at best.

Again, I'm impartial to whether or not we can run these. I don't plan to, but I dont have an issue with people wanting a new rim as well. There is exactly ZERO new options currently.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21203

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Chuck thanks for mentioning the short-shifter.
I have been a proponent against them from day 1. I still believe if everyone does the allowed Only944.com components, the shifters are more than adequate.
Currently, Spec miata doesnt allow any type of short- shifter. Spec E30 does. I AM for components that make our cars easier to drive/more reliable/less junky. After analyzing the components offered by Only944.com, I'm definitely more open to the idea of allowing it. The reality of it is if we DO allow it, EVERYONE will feel inclined to purchase it. Sure it's only $93, but multiply that across the 944 Spec field currently competing and that's about a $15,000 decision.

If we do allow this, does this mean EVERYONE WILL STOP BITCHING ABOUT MIS-SHIFTING AND SLOPPY SHIFTERS?! Lol- I kid.

Please folks- weigh in here: Power in numbers.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21204

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I read your proposal, and it's about the same as last years, the wheels made for us to emulate our wheels, which we have an abundant and inexpensive supply of.

Without testing, I think it's a bad idea. I'm curious how a manufacturer can almost exactly match our wheels without spending a bunch on R&D?

We spent a bunch of effort on testing different engine configurations to come up with the ruleset we have but there's been none for the wheels and lacking this we can only guess at what difference they will make. If you can get the manufacturer to donate a set to a few different regions for testing and they prove equal, then by all means but without that I'm against it.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21205

• tcomeau
We can't have some people using short shifters and others not using it. Not a good idea.
Cookies and phone dials in both offsets are still readily available. Let's stay stock on both of these areas.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 6 months ago #21206

• tcomeau
Who is KJ Z78071?
I think it's important to Dino on the set of wheels that you just raced on.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds