Username Password: Remember me

Lexan windshield?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Lexan windshield?

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 10 months ago #4744

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Sorry Doc I did not see the part about SM.

I raced SM for a few years at all the So-Cal tracks and do not remember ever replacing a front windshield. May have cracked one but not sure.

It may have to do with the angle of the windshield or some other factor.

I will see what I can find out from Rush Motorsports and the NASA SM Board.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 10 months ago #4745

Okay, I started this thread and have been sitting back watching and reading all of the posts. Now, here are my follow up thoughts.

Charlie, I DO NOT WANT THIS CLASS TO GET OUT OF HAND. With that said, I am all for NO NEW RULES and a RULES FREEZE.
However, when I am looking at ways to make this class more affordable for others, I have to come up with ideas that adhere with that goal.

Lets look at this scenario. John Q. Rookie is building a new 944-SPEC car, he removes his windshield to get to all of the nooks and crannys to weld his cage up nice. In doing so, he cracks his windshield during the removal of it. Now, he calls his local glass guy and gets a quote of $400 to install a new windshield. Then, he goes online and finds a new 3/16 lexan windshield for $350. $50 saved there and no need to replace it again if it cracks. Tear offs are not required if you maintain lexan properly.

Are we talking about valve springs that allow you to turn your motor at higher rpm's possibly circumventing some of our engine rules? No. Are we talking about short shifters that DO make shifting quicker that could prove to be a performance advantage on restarts at a cost that not all of us are ready to absorb? No. I am just looking at the initial build/long term expense of replacing cracked windshields that ARE an issue with our 944's. Mine cracked simply by hitting the gators @ CMP. The crack is beginning to spread and it won't be long before it travels through my line of sight and becomes a safety issue for me. Will I replace the glass with glass if I have to? Yes, to remain safe on the track. Would I like to put lexan in there so I know that it will never crack again? You bet. Am I willing to add some ballast up high to satisfy those that think I have a performance advantage by moving weight up top? Sure because I know in our class, with our low hp cars and almost perfect 50/50 balance 5 lbs up top is NOT going to make me win or lose a race. Trust me, if I was so concerned about ounces, you guys would be fighting to keep me out of the class because I would have gotten the car down to 1,500lbs and add the additional 1,100 where I wanted to. BUT, our cars scale out perfectly without the added help of weight savings.
Look, I don't want this class to turn into what the "other" 944 classes have turned into. I am going to fight till the death to keep it that way. But something as simple as replacing glass with lexan for the WINDSHIELD glass only is not that big of a deal and I feel confident that someone is not going to beat me cause they have lexan and I don't. Now lexan rear hatches are a different story and I will NEVER vote yes for that.
Moral of the post:

If it does not provide a performance advantage in any way shape or form, yet provides a cost savings to our racers at the build or maintenance aspect of our class, then it should be allowed. Again, it can NOT provide a performance advantage at all. PERIOD.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 10 months ago #4747

I won't put in a lexan winshield. It will get scratched to easly and then fade and haze. I have great luck with glass. In 9 years (as of this october) of running my 944 on the track I will have gone through 2 winshields.

I first installed on in 2000 when built the car. The donor had large rock in the glass so it was unsable.

That first glass lasted my 6 years? I replaced when the sand blasting got too bad. Considering it was used when I got it I don't have a problem. Plus I got it replaced for a deal at my house.

I now have large crack in my current glass. This came from a rock a about 2 years ago. I left it in as the crack was on the pass side. No big deal. Sadly I screwed up this glass when tring to install my wiper. Hit the edge of the glass and put a small crack in it. The just before my last race I saw it extend right in my line of sight. Given how low I sit I really only need see out maybe a 5" by 12" box and crack went right there. I ran the weekend with no issue, but will need to replace the glass before national. Due my mistake mostly.

So I have had good lock with glass and I run on the same traks most guys do. Heck I need repaint my front bumper more often than my glass. Really if you get chip or crack have it "repaired" even it it grows. This will stop it and be much cheaper than replacing it every time you get a chip. Replace it only if the crack is in your line of sight or makes the glass weak.

Cliff Orbach had smallo hood pin issue and his hood flapped back and cracked the glass. Sadly it was bad enough to allow the glass to move when pushed so he was done for the day. That is about as bad as I have seen a crack and would consider that "unsafe".
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 10 months ago #4748

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Michael, I am just posting my opinions or experiences.

I will race whatever the rules are until I feel there is a better opportunity for me elsewhere or the class gets screwed up.

We all have to deal with the rules whatever they are.

I just prefer to keep them the same.

Racing is expensive. No way anyone can dispute that.
The Spec 944 is about as low cost as it gets. We don't have any real high maintenance items with these cars.
Tires, brakes, shocks, bearings, clutches, water pumps all seem to last a long time.

Seems that one of the big issues is the windshield. At only $400 a copy I don't see this as a big issue. I am spending way more on tires.

Charlie Buzzetti
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5073

Current windshield replacement pricing.

From rennlist.

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-9...t-so-damn-cheap.html

Interesting.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5074

We had a guy crack his windshield from an OTE where with homemade mirror mount hit the windsheild. He got a replacement from Safelite for $160. He is installing it himself, so this is a non-installed price.

At these prices, glass seems like the best option to me. I would encourage people to shop around, $400 seems like a lot.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds