TOPIC: Lets allow Fuchs

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 11 months ago #4650

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I agree.

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 11 months ago #4651

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
If you take a semi clean set of 15" fuch wheels to the Bugorama in Sacramento on labor day, or to any other VW event you could sell them for around $1000 and buy at least 3 sets of cookie cutters.

Back in the day when I did the Volkswagen thing, fuchs were gold. There are knock offs but original 15"x6" or 15"x7" are still sought after and carry a high price so we wouldn't just be competing with Porsche guys for them.

I say no to fuchs and would rather see aftermarket wheels first, but I think the rules as is are fine

Ron

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4701

I say no to Fuchs too but I would like to see the late cars be able to use Cookie Cutter wheels. These do fit without any rubbing issues on a late car but I know it increases the overall width a little too much. If this is allowed, we can allow wheel spacers for the early cars.

Since the late cars are heavier, I think the Cookies which are about 2.8 lbs lighter than the Phone Dials, will help those who have the late cars. Just allow wheel spacers for the early cars. What do you guys think?
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4702

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Remember this is a "Spec" series. The standard wheel on the 944 was PDs and CCs. Fuch wheels were a special and expensive upgrade. PDs, CCs are low end wheels that are plentiful for us racers and do the job. I don't want to have to out spend the car show addict who wants Fuch wheels for his ride.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4704

• bay924s
  • Comp School
jaje wrote:
Remember this is a "Spec" series. The standard wheel on the 944 was PDs and CCs. Fuch wheels were a special and expensive upgrade. PDs, CCs are low end wheels that are plentiful for us racers and do the job. I don't want to have to out spend the car show addict who wants Fuch wheels for his ride.

Yeah..this is a "Spec" series..but it doesn't seem that "standards" have much to do with it since LSDs are allowed (expensive factory option or much more expensive aftermarket)

Just stirring up the pot here:cheer:
Steve Huey
Norcal #106 and sometimes #95 1/2

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4708

If we were starting from scratch, we may have not allowed LSD's, but they they are much harder to remove than a set of wheels, and that cat is way out of the bag.

Late cars seem to compete just fine as as (having raced both early and late offset cars) and they're better susp. geometry offsets the slight weight disadvantage of the lower weight wheels. Making early cars add expensive wheel spacers that add a couple of pounds to their wheels does not make sense. I say this as an owner of a late car (again).

Bottom line is that there needs to be clear/overwhelming evidence that a given change is good for the series as a whole for that rule change to occur. Burdon of proof, so to speak, is on the rules "changer". "It would be nice for me" sort of rule changes won't make the cut.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 10 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds