Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Body (6-10)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Body (6-10)

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6310

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
My Turbo S Lexan was 7 pounds less than the OE Glass.

I found a cheap enough place to get glass now but I'm still in favor of the Lexan because of elimination of chips and cracks. It takes an afternoon to get the car hauled somewhere and changed etc...

I'm still intrigued that 7 pounds for this would be so difficult yet we can change the roof panel to aluminum....
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by F1rocks.

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6311

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Joe, I posted the weight of the glass windshield and lexan. The difference is way less than 17 lbs. The glass weighs 22 pounds. I don't remember, and did not do a search, for the weight of lexan but belive the differenc is about 10 to 11 pounds.

I am sure that someone will find the post and update us here.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6313

F1rocks wrote:

... I'm still intrigued that 7 pounds for this would be so difficult yet we can change the roof panel to aluminum....

1. Because there are non-sunroof cars.

2. Headroom reasons.

3. It's very inexpensive & simple to do.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6319

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
F1rocks wrote:

... I'm still intrigued that 7 pounds for this would be so difficult yet we can change the roof panel to aluminum....

1. Because there are non-sunroof cars.

2. Headroom reasons.

3. It's very inexpensive & simple to do.

There are cars running open diff vs. closed diff too, the percentage of non sunroof cars is so low it doesn't matter.

I'm 6'2" I have zero problems with headroom. Who has put in an aluminum roof for headroom reasons?

Coilovers are getting pretty cheap and boy they are really easy to do (I don't support coilovers BTW)

Heck I'd be more than willing to weld 10 pounds back to the roll cage or something to eliminate the chipping and cracking. I'm not looking for a performance advantage, my lexan turbo s windshield has been trouble free for four years and after this last windshield I would have already been able to pay for the cost difference.

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6321

There are good arguements for Lexan, and they are being given serious consideration.

The 7lb delta between Lexan & glass is a good data point - thanks.

-----------
There are some 6'5" drivers in the RMR- they requested modifications to allow more headroom last year.

A sheet of aluminum is <$50, one time cost. Opening the door to the other things mentioned (coilovers ) is a whole 'nother price zipcode - not a valid comparison.

This rule has been well received, and is not up for debate.

Lexan will be debated on it's own merits.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Body (6-10) 14 years, 5 months ago #6323

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
This brings up an interesting point if we have a minimum weight and most everyone can get to it does it really matter? It seems that anything that reduces weight is fair game and has no real cost implications because you can get to minimums without going for a bunch of high tech lightweight bits... I realize that within the 2600lbs you could redistribute with components but can you make that big of a change? When you do a weight/balance on an airplane you can move all kinds of fuel passengers and loads... The cg only moves around a few inches. I would think the potential change in a 944 would be even smaller and of very little real advantage...I've got two racecars both with split windsheids that were new at the beginning of the season and were about $250 each they will be marginal soon. I think I would go plexi even if it was the thicker 5/16 with no weight difference if they would last longer.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds