Username Password: Remember me

2011 changes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 changes?

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8128

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Rick, sorry about your engine at Nats.

You were a contender for a podium finish IMO.

I was asking about the NASA supplied Traqmates. I had one in my car for 944 and GTS1.

Anyone else?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8129

Charlie,
Top 4 on grid for the start of main race.

That meant Dirks, Palmer, Buzzetti and Griffith.

Chuck has all the data. The big question is can we use this type information to improve the class (compliance, competitiveness, etc)? If so what should be done?

So far we directors are starting to talk about it. We will let everyone know where this is going once we have taken a good look at it. Too early right now.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8130

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Thanks Joe, just looking to see how that played out.

With 4 systems running in the same race you should also be able to see how accurate the traqmate is.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8166

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
What we have in this class today is not what attracted most of us to join. It's neither low cost, nor equal, racing. It seems that the suspension stuff is pretty well under control and our main problem is drivetrain...

I'd propose that we bring certified dyno's into the equation and determine minimum weight based on both whp and torque, and then maybe have a weight penalty for LSD's (or a reward for open diff's).

If people are confident in their driving, or honestly want a fair race, then why is there any reason to oppose having the same power-to-weight ratio as your competitors? If we do that, then we kill this stupid arms race of building our engines. I understand that change is difficult to sell, but we've already established that things are getting ridiculous and uneven, so let's do something about it... Negligence isn't an answer.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by Weston.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8168

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I think that having power to weight limits is not a bad thing to consider, if it could be made to work. Theoretically, it certainly enforces the 'equal cars' goal that most of us support (assuming the limits are kept reasonable).

Something we'll need to deal with there, though, is the fact that measuring this requires the use of 2 different instruments that would need to be properly calibrated and used. At Nationals, I know of one 944 that rolled over the scales twice over the period of just a few seconds with no changes, and came back with a 7 pound variance between readings. I also heard other stories of interesting/inconsistent experiences at the scales.

A quick look at the CMC board will show some interesing stories about the dyno at Nationals and how it was used - some guys were showing really high numbers and had to de-tune (not because they brought cheater cars to Nationals, but because of how that particular dyno was reading during that particular pull), others had stories of the fan being blown into difference places on different cars (some straight into the airbox, and some over the radiator), and still others had lots of other variations in car and dyno temps from one run to the next that certainly affected results.

Not a reason to not talk further about power-weight, but something to keep in mind during the discussion. In-region, this could be managed relatively easily; but if we're concerned about Nationals (which I have to think we are, given how soon after the event this discussion is coming up), it could be a little trickier.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by GaryM05.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8170

Weston,

All these things are being looked into, for the concerns you cite.

Doing this right is not as simple as it seems. Requiring dynos adds cost as well, to everyone, on an ongoing basis. Dynos can be manipulated, and with our low HP cars, even 10 HP means something. Equalizing power to weight still does not make cars nessarily equal. Those intent on spending lots of money could build a heavy/high HP car for fast/high speed tracks, and a light/low HP car for tight tracks. Dynos have not seemed to make 944 Cup more fair or even, just make the cheating more creative. If we go there, we'd need how to figure out to do it better...

All that said, the dyno option may be needed, but only after some careful consideration of the upsides & downsides.

Last week in the Midwest we had everyone warmup & qualify in someone else's car. It was a very interesting exercise. For us, it didn't change who qualified where (faster guys still went fast in the slower cars), but drivers learned a lot about car set up through this. It reinforced that this is still a drivers class.

Here's a thought:
Maybe we should have Dirks drive every car, and equalize the cars based on his best laptime. I trust him more than a dyno, and he's cheaper.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds