Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 changes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 changes?

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8171

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Things are fine as is, no changes are needed. At nationals for the championship race I was in a group of 5 cars and seemed to be faster from turn five through release but got freight trained down the straight. I was definitely down on power but even if I had a pro built 2.7 I would not have kept up with the wonder kids or Dave, or any of the top 5. Driver skill(or lack thereof) is what won that race. I stayed with Austin on the start into turn one but got a glimpse of his skill as he left us all behind on lap one. He doesn't have any more power than my car yet drove like a pro.

I personally trust all the drivers in my region and since we are friends as well as competitors, I know the history of all the cars I race against. I have also driven most of them and can say that the faster cars are not up on power but are better set up and have a better attention to detail than mine. I spent ALOT of time at Miller under my car instead of concentrating on driving because I did not prepare like I should have. I am also still learning the ins and outs of setup(thanks Norm for the very helpful advice!!) and feel once I get a better feel for it I will be much faster and maybe someone will accuse me of cheating!

I also met a lot of other region drivers and can't imagine any one of them even considering cheating! These guys freely gave spare parts and help to get me going so I could go out and beat them! IO beat Jim Richmond on thursday, friday he gave me an axle so we could go at it again(he beat me saturday).

I got into racing to have fun. Winning is very fun and I haven't done enough of it yet, but more than that I have fun competing. The friendships I make are the best part however and if someone wishes to give that up to cheat, well I say take the $5 trophy and enjoy. I will know I did the best I could honorably and can be proud to my family for doing it the right way.

Rules changes always prices people out, however well meaning. The honor system is fool proof; only fools will cheat!

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8173

rd7839 wrote:
The honor system is fool proof; only fools will cheat!

That is AWESOME . I have never heard that before.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8177

I don't think or at least I don't want to think anyone is cheating, maybe you can get 145 hp out of these cars by using every legal advantage. That is why having a maximum hp limit would fix lots of things, but mostly it would create equal cheaper racing.
Norman #99

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8178

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Well said Ron, this is for a plastic trophy not a million bucks.

A lot of you think I have a Milledge motor but I am running the motor that came with that car. It was built by steve Rusikof in so-cal. It did test right at the limit of compression. It does run well, it cost $3,500 when new (rebuilt) 3 years ago.

The dyno results at Miller were inconsistent. I had a 6 hp variation over the 4 required dyno sessions. I also had a 6 lb weight discrepancy at Miller. I just ballasted for the worse possible situation.

The fast drivers will always be at the front of the pack. Doesn't matter what car they are driving. It takes great setup, a fast car, a solid driver and luck to win the big races.

Tyler could have easily won that race if he had got through T1 in second or third. Bad luck on his part.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that my car is for sale. No really!!!!!
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8190

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
norman#99 wrote:
I don't think or at least I don't want to think anyone is cheating, maybe you can get 145 hp out of these cars by using every legal advantage. That is why having a maximum hp limit would fix lots of things, but mostly it would create equal cheaper racing.

Like Yogi said, "deja vue all over again"...

Assuming you (the editorial 'you' - not you personally) are wanting to limit those with 'built' motors; any one with a built motor can and will spend the time on a dyno to get right up against whatever limits are set. Perversely this makes it HARDER and MORE expensive to 'keep up'. Because you will find yourself not only thinking you have to get a built motor but then needing to spend $1k in dyno time to get it just so.
'JB'

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8191

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
If you specifically limit HP then cars will be tuned to the maximum TQ with exhaust, fuel mixture etc. Again more dyno time.

More rules will be bad. IMO
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion