Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 changes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 changes?

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8194

Joe P said "we are only 2 or 3 hp apart from each other which is no big deal", I agree 100%. Like I said, earlier, 5 hp is fine with me and fair for everybody because you can for the most part affordably find 5 hp if your at 130 and with a good set up and driving, you can beat a car with 5 more hp. I am sure there is a limit were even a pro driver won't be able to keep up.

It sounds like first thing is first, is there a subsantial differance in power to weight in spec? If not, why are we talking about this?

2 or 3 have voiced their dislike on a the max hp idea and I am a bit slow, call it A.D.D. or what ever, I still can't understand how this would be a bad thing in a class that bosts equal racing??? Please type slowly so I might grasp it.
Oh, I did understand the money issue on dynoing to get to a certain hp, but I know getting a car to a 140+hp has got to cost more than a few dyno runs trying to find 135 or what ever that number should be. So please, no insults to inteligence or the lack there of.

Again keep it simple for me, why is equal power in all cars a bad thing, this has nothing to do with driving, set up, new, old or junk yard motors, again thanks for understanding my handicap.
Norman #99

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8195

Norm,
I have never supported a max dyno limit for the class. The reason is that it makes it a target for guys to reach or complain if they can't reach it. Typical dyno variation makes it difficult to set the number low enough to attaible by most, but no so low as one that is overcome by a "lucky home build". Remember our cars are old and 20 years of street use can leave some motors just better than others.

I personaly don't see us at a crisis point. What I do see is that we had traqmate data in 4 cars with actual dyno runs to back up 2 of them. The first thought is can we use this data and technolgy to make the class better?

Frankly the jury is still out. I will say this however if traqmate could be used to provide accurate reliable hp numbers it opens us up to alot of more tools ensure compliance and level the playing field more. The issue is we see some promise in GPS based systems, but also many flaws.

Again we directors need to be forward looking as well to prevent issue from becoming a problem. That is why we are tacking it now.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8202

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Norm, bless your heart. You want our racing to be "equal". In concept, I certainly agree with you but we are NOT an "equal" car series. We allow too many different models and years of car to ever be "equal". I am not saying that this is a great situation but it is the one we have and will continue to have unless you want to have a 924 series, an early 944 series, an intermediate 944 series and a late 944 series all running seperate classes but together on the track.

The other issue, as I see it, everyone perpares their cars to different levels making this series "unequal". Should we require part # specific parts for ALL non-stock parts allowed, require exactly the same allignment settings and require that all cars do all allowed (required) changes in order to be race and be "equal".

I think not. We have a reasonable set of rules that give us a reasonably equal racing series. We are amatures. Those that want to do more will go on to other series. Drivers that excel may also go on to other, more prestigeous series. So be it. I, for one, do not want/need the drama. I race to have fun. I had as much fun at nationals finishing in sixth as last year finishing in second because it is about the total experiencs and not the finishing postion, for me.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8208

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Ok let me see if I got this straight. The guy with out the pro motor won the race. Any questions?

There will never be parity. That is racing.

A reward weight system for regional racing would really be the only way to level the playing field.

But I can tell you with certainty that it will not change the finish order of our races. The fast guys will still win.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8210

Thanks to Joe, Jim and Charlie for your answers to:

"why is equal power in all cars a bad thing"

Joe said, "The reason is that it makes it a target for guys to reach or complain if they can't reach it.

Jim said, "Norm, bless your heart. You want our racing to be "equal". In concept, I certainly agree with you but we are NOT an "equal" car series.

Charlie said, "Ok let me see if I got this straight. The guy with out the pro motor won the race. Any questions?" "But I can tell you with certainty that it will not change the finish order of our races. The fast guys will still win."

If I am judgeing answers, Jim wins!!! Also thanks for blessing my heart Jim, I love you man! Charlie get's the best dance award! I love you too man!

After this years Nationals and having the opportunity to see all of NASA's classes more closely, I am glad to be a member of 944 spec and from all of those that I spoke with, we are the most looked upto class and we have the most fun and respect for each other.

I am happy with what ever the majority are happy with, it seems that a no limit legal h/p is a good thing, so I would like to thank John Milledge for sharing his expertise on engine building with us and I hope to have one of your motors in my car someday, I just wanted to make sure there would be no rule changes before I do it and after this thread, I feel good that there will be no h/p limits added to the rules.

Again thanks to everybody,

PS: Now it's time to start a discussion for a 2011 944spec championship race somewhere central for all of us, Like Pheonix!
Norman #99

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8211

Norm,
1) I am not against equal hp. Not at all. However we need a realistic way to first determine if we are not equal (right now it is all conjecture with limited data) and then we need to find a way to balance that. This is not very easy to do and we must becareful to not create more problems that we solve.

2) Nationals will be in Ohio in 2011 and 2012. That is set in stone and I will not support any "nationals race" any place else. We can of course have friendly fun races that span multiple regions in a reasonable distance. Let see what the 2011 schedule holds and what makes sense.
Chuckwalla would be great place for an Az/So-cal crossover.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds