Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8438

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Those of us in NorCal with compatible Data also tend to share the data if asked. Many though still do not have a data system. Equally we share video from those that run it, (often when THEY have something they wish to share (brag) ).

I don't think that mandatory sharing to data is reasonable, and might result in owners only running data on non race weekends.

Not sure how this could be applied in a fair fashion.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8441

We've been using gps data in CMC for some time to find outliers and to assist in validating equality between the multiple engine platforms. We too have found the drivers are either in the "share my data at will" camp or the "use my data for enforcement and rules, but no one else sees it" camp. We therefore only share data from straights and only with the driver's permission. That fits our needs without causing too much drama.

As far as officials being racers...well, thats just a fact of life in ammateur level racing. Your officials know what is going to be checked at tech ahead of time. They have authority to crawl all over your car and see all of the gory details. They are the first cut at issuing penalties. My point is they already have plenty of opportunity for impropriety and believe me because of this NASA keeps a close eye on all of the directors of all series to ensure they are always acting in the best interest of the series first. You have to trust those guys and know they're doing the right thing for the right reasons.
NASA Texas Competition Director
Texas 944Spec Director
National CMC Director

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8444

Here is a little example in how the data sharing could work.

Post qualifying the local director may chose to install a Data Aq box in Car #2 on grid. That device will be supplied by the regional director. The results of race will then be recorded and shared.

So just because you have Data in the car does not mean it will be looked at. It could be, but chances are it won't. You won't need to buy anything since there will be unit installed in the car. If you have one on the car and you get "drawn" for data then we might just use that.

Also when it comes to data we can share limited data as well. Maybe a speed trace for the best 3 laps with no lateral g's. There is also a difference in sharing the data files and sharing plot of bits of the data.

The intent is simply this.
- Gather a "reference" database on car performance. Overtime this can be used to determine outliers Outliers would be subject to more significant inspections.
- Make it clear why some guys are fast? Is because they have more hp or becuase they get through the corners better.
- Help the slower folks get up to speed, but making it clear what the car is capable of.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8446

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
joepaluch wrote:

Also when it comes to data we can share limited data as well. Maybe a speed trace for the best 3 laps with no lateral g's. There is also a difference in sharing the data files and sharing plot of bits of the data.

The intent is simply this.
- Gather a "reference" database on car performance. Overtime this can be used to determine outliers Outliers would be subject to more significant inspections.
- Make it clear why some guys are fast? Is because they have more hp or becuase they get through the corners better.
- Help the slower folks get up to speed, but making it clear what the car is capable of.

Sharing limited data is a LOT different from sharing all data, IMO. From the original post on this, it sounded to me as though all data gathered would be shared with everyone, which goes too far IMO. If someone wants to share his Traqmate data with me (or someone else), that should be up to the individual competitor.

But (as I stated before) IMO if the series directors want to gather data for them to use to look further at the current theories/rumors/etc on HP, that's a different thing entirely.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8448

OK, this could be a constructive compromise.

Most of the current concerns as far as motors could be addressed by accelleration plots being public by rule. We could encourage more full data sharing, to get the new guys up to speed, without mandating it.

One issue that this brings up, though is the series director has access to all the data, and other racers don't. Trust us?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas her 13 years, 6 months ago #8449

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Seems like a good compromise to me Doc.

Now the part about trusting the directors, that will take some thought
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA