Username Password: Remember me

2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas her 13 years, 6 months ago #8457

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
In the past few weeks the So-Cal, Nor-Cal, AZ and now RM Regions have all said that there is no problem with the current rule set in their region. I believe that these 4 regions make up a vast majority of the NASA 944Spec racers.

I am confused as to why this conversation is even taking place.

If we do not have a problem then why are we even talking about DATA AQ or anything else to do with adding rules. Lets just get back to racing and have fun.

Repeat after me "NO NEW RULES"!!!!!!

[quote="SvoChuck" post=8455] We had over 30 drivers in 2010 but we have chosen to not push for rule changes Nation wide in 2011.

Regional directors: get a head count from your region to see if any of this is what the drivers want. After all it is about the drivers.

I have spoken to most (9 of 13) of the So-Cal drivers personally and none want to have any new rules. They do not believe there is any problem with the current rule set.

What do your regional drivers think?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8458

I agree to no new rules. I don't see these issues in NorCal (and I didn't see it at Nationals). I normally don't have a problem sharing data aq or any other tips I can but I am not in favor of forcing that.

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8460

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
I don't see the RM region saying that there are no problems with the current rule set, but rather quite the opposite. This is what Chuck actually said:

"The RMR will be doing what we want to do locally to keep our racing "Low cost and equal". We had over 30 drivers in 2010 but we have chosen to not push for rule changes Nation wide in 2011. If Texas or any other region wants to do what we are doing GREAT ! if not GREAT ! Please have fun and grow 944-spec in your region the way you want to ! If that means $2,700+ for a head and/or $10,000+ for an engine and that is what makes your region happy GREAT. have fun !"

In other words, we see a problem and we know what we want, so we're going to try some new things in the RM region in 2011. You do what works for you, and we'll do what works for us. We've seen what grows the class out here, and it very clearly does not include this Spec Miata style engine building arms race. This isn't meant to be a builder's class, plain and simple. We already fell into that trap and are still paying the price for it. It's a great way to blow thousands of dollars in an attempt to get a plastic trophy, while diminishing the value of the racing for everyone else.

We need to support ALL 944-Spec racers by promoting a level and affordable playing field. Rules stability is important, but that doesn't mean that we should ever neglect to fix class balance problems. It's not just those of us who have been doing this for a few years and can squeeze off a podium finish that make this class work, it's everyone together. More and more of us are seeing that the status-quo benefits a few people at the expense of others, and at a cost to the class as a whole. That goes against what attracted most of us to this class.

I'd be upset too if I had built a hot motor for this class and now the benefit of that is being threatened, but on the other hand, doing that has always clearly been against the spirit of the class. If doing it is going to be justified as "that's just racing", then rule changes are obviously "just racing" too. Trying to approach our amateur hobby with a pro-level mentality comes with pro-level consequences too... If that's not desirable, then simply take it down a notch and have fun with the rest of us.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8461

• Big Dog
  • Banned
WOW!

Weston I am sorry to see that you are as upset as you are.

Peace, love and happiness for everyone.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8467

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
So does that mean that Dirks motors will be illegal in RM?

Even though he builds them in his garage he is considered a "PRO Builder" by Chuck.

Davids engines are every bit as powerful as any one at Nationals. That is easy to see from the multiple camera views at the start of the race at Miller.

None of the top 5 cars at Miller have a problem with Davids motors as far as I know.

None of the other regions are having an issue so it looks like it is a RM issue.

I will not be at Nationals next year but please remember that RM cars will have to comply with National rules. Do what ever you want during the rest of the year.

Good luck to you and have a great day.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2011 - Rules change proposals - List ideas here 13 years, 6 months ago #8468

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Well said Weston. We grow the class.

No Build Wars. No Stiupid $10k Engines, just to get that extra 5hp. No Stupid $2800 heads, just to get another few hp. NO OUTRAGEOUS Spec Miata build wars!

IMO this class shouldn't be about how much you spend on an engine. Go Miata, or go Cup if you want to do that. SPEC should be affordable... but I guess that's a relative term. I tow on a Dolly... not a full trailer/motor home.

And yes, I have a Dirks motor. All for LESS than the price of a Pro-Built head.

This isn't JUST a RM problem. I think we're trying to keep the Nationwide 944SPEC class affordable for the Average Joe (or Jane), for the College Student, and for the Entry Level Racercar Driver.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds