Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items)

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items) 13 years, 5 months ago #8627

• bay924s
  • Comp School
2011-1 - In favor
2011-2 - In favor
2001-3 - No opinion
2011-4 - opposed
Steve Huey
Norcal #106 and sometimes #95 1/2

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Item 13 years, 5 months ago #8657

I'm ok with the first 3 but don't really care about #4.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items) 13 years, 5 months ago #8677

I was talking to one of my fellow competitors today about the lexan issue. I think this rule needs to happen but it should be re-phrased and isolated to only one of the two windows.

This is a safety issue in my opinion. I have a clear lexan NACA duct in my passenger window and it blocks my mirror. I would like to put one in a rear window so I can see my mirror.

In my opinion, the rule should be:

One rear quarter window may be replaced with Lexan for the purpose of air ducting into the cabin. Lexan may not be used to replace a glass window soley for the purpose of weight reduction; an air duct must be in place. Either window may be replaced in the manner above but not both.

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items) 13 years, 5 months ago #8678

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I think that replacing the rear quarter windows with lexan should be allowed on both sides regardless of whether there's a duct there or not. It takes away another glass component that will shatter if hit during a race or accident (possibly cutting the driver or worker helping assist them - especially in rollovers where you have to crawl on the ground). They are so small that it won't do much to help weight and lexan is not all that expensive.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items) 13 years, 5 months ago #8679

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I also like the requirement for the ducting to be in place. E.G. the argument is to allow cooling ducting to be installed - so make it part of the rule.

Given the back hatch is still glass - I don't see swapping the side windows reduces the amount of glass shards in a wreck.

I'd support the lexan side window with the above change.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: 2011 Change Proposals - New Allowances (4 Items) 13 years, 5 months ago #8680

jaje wrote:
I think that replacing the rear quarter windows with lexan should be allowed on both sides regardless of whether there's a duct there or not. It takes away another glass component that will shatter if hit during a race or accident (possibly cutting the driver or worker helping assist them - especially in rollovers where you have to crawl on the ground). They are so small that it won't do much to help weight and lexan is not all that expensive.

Jaje, I think the fear is that opening up the rule means "everyone HAS to do it" for competetive advantage. If it is only one of the two windows and MUST have a duct, there is no weight advantage. Surely the Lexan+duct+hose weighs about the same as a stock window.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds