Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8651

Spec has never seen a car dyno at these levels and it seems to be agreed that there isn't a wide spread cheating problem in 944 Spec.

All this rule does is gives those with the means a target to shoot for when building a "cheater" engine.

Having said that, I don't disagree with the concept or intent, I just believe it is unnecessary and doesn't answer any of the concerns brought up so far (junkyard winning motors etc).

The only way that this rule should be used if it is passed is in the event of a protest from a fellow competitor. This should not be a dyno series.

There is NO engine HP problem in 944 Spec!!!!
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8652

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
A couple of years ago we saw a car pull a 145 on the dyno at Thunderhill. That car didn't win, didn't finish second. I ran with him with my old engine that had one cylinder at 110psi and three at around 85-88psi. Was he cheating? I don't know. I doubt he was purposely cheating.

Now I have to dyno my car to check to make sure I'm not "cheating" at least once a season, probably more. I'll make more hp at Infineon in the spring, where the elevation is about 100 feet.Could I make 143? Sure. Then what, I have to plug the intake or stick a banana in the tailpipe. Summer at Thunderhill I might make 130. I'll have to check which will cost more money and take more time. Sounds like a great plan to me!

We haven't had an issue until this year and it seems a few people have gotten it in their heads that somebody is cheating. Name names if you have specific ideas or be realistic with yourself. Did you lose because somebody spent more? Maybe, but you'll never be able to police that. Did you lose because you weren't as skilled a driver yet? More than likely.

But I say, lets make a bunch of new rules, that always works out good!

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8653

SAE correction will correct for temp & altitude. Raw numbers are not used for just the reasons you cite. Maybe the 145 HP # you saw was an uncorrected #? Clearly there are different and strong opinions on how much of an issue is out there, and balancing all the viewpoints requires compromise. This one is pretty painless in reality.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8655

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Any body out there have experience with variations from dyno to dyno?

Has this been logged in any region?

Can some dynos read higher than others with the same car?

It appears this has happened today with my car.

My car dynoed above the 142 benchmark at Buttonwillow with a lower compression head than I had at Miller.

Not to sure this dyno thing is a great idea. Do I now just have to find a dyno that will read low to make my car pass inspection?

I think if the directors carefully read what the racers have written about all these new proposals they will see that most do not think they are needed. ARE YOU LISTENING?

We already have a process in place with NASA to protest a competitor if we think his car is out of compliance with the current rule set. Is this system not working?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8656

Is there any way to set up a minimum car/driver weight with maximum HP scale? Let's say you can cap the maximum HP to 145hp but that car will have to carry extra weight so the minimum after a race will be 2,750 lbs car and driver?

Is there a ratio that will be fair for horsepower and weight? For each 1 hp, you need to put on 10 lbs?

That means if you have a car that dynos only 130hp, you can drop your car down to 2,600 lbs.

This could be done for those who race locally as everyone could dyno their car on the same day and place but how would you do that for visitors? I think this new change would be very difficult to enforce.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re: 2011 Rules change Proposal HP limit 2011-8 13 years, 5 months ago #8659

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Have not finished building the car yet. But really do not want to and can not afford to invest in the cost of a 'dyno' series. And yes, if you have limits even high limits all, or almost all, the podium cars will spend time on a dyno. Seen it here in Mid Atlantic with 44Cup. See no reason the outcome will be different for Spec. People are people and the rational response to dyno numbers is build to them or at LEAST check against them.

All the problems previously cited absolutely true and then some. No one is happier with the dyno than without. Instead of mumbling about someone cheating on the build; now they mumble about someone cheating on the dyno test. Yes, you can cheat on a dyno test.

Really hope 944Spec stays with the existing rule set. Big Sigh
'JB'
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by JB3.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds