(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: 24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008

24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1166

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Is happening this weekend at Altamont raceway.

Go Jeremy Go!

http://944-spec.org/gallery/jeremylemons.jpeg
--Ken

Re:24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1169

Wow, luckily we did not enter this one. Didn't know that it fell on Mother's Day. My wife would not be too happy with this one. Would have tried to go out there and check it out but probably don't have time.

Good luck Jeremy!
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1175

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Jeremy's Toyota Camry blew an engine about four hours in.
Makes you think how special our "Fish out of Water" 944 LeMons car is in finishing the race last year and how it'll be a much more competitive car with better suspension and tires for the next race.

On a somber note. There was a fatality at the LeMons race yesterday when a Volvo 242 Turbo hit a wall.
There was a blog entry from someone in the spectator stands that said
"he shot forward and sped up right before the turn, and went head on into the wall. didn't break, didn't turn.
i didn't see anyone bump him. best guess is that he passed out and his foot just acted like a lead weight... but that's just based on the fact that he blasted forward so suddenly and made a beeline for the wall."

Preliminary CHP investigation as reported on http://jalopnik.com

"The CHP reported that the car was in working order. No mechanical failure seems to have appeared...the impact was estimated at 50 to 60 MPH...Cort Summerfield was 46 years old (02/01/1961)"

On behalf of the NorCal 944-SPEC group, our condolences to Mr. Summerfield's family and friends.
--Ken

Re:24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1178

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Crap - Only thing I can say. Crap !.

My condolences to all involved and to the family.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1185

Very sad to hear about any fatalities but this one was kind of close to home as the driver lived and worked in Alameda at Ole's Waffle Shop. He was an experienced driver too. Here is what SF Gate had to say:

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...05/12/BA0910KNDP.DTL
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:24 Hours of LeMons May 10-11 2008 15 years, 11 months ago #1193

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
It was very tragic. I had been watching him throughout the day. I was very impressed. He was really driving well. The crash really cast a pall over the whole event.
I wasn't on the track when it happened...I was tending to my p.o.s. car. We heard the race go silent...and then heard they red flagged it...then black flagged it. I saw an ambulance come down the hill and then a helicopter flew in and circled but then left. Right then we knew it was bad. We walked to the track and saw 3 fire trucks, 3 ambulances, 4-5 CHP cars all surrounding the Volvo. They put a tarp over the car and that pretty much answered everyone's question.
People are wondering why he made no attempt to turn. Speculation is that he was unconscious prior to hitting the wall...possibly heart attack. Hopefully more details will emerge after an autopsy is performed.
He was an experienced driver and had done many LeMons events. A lot of people are saying they will paint their front fender in the blue/red Gulf Oil colors in respect.
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds