Bay area spec 944 racers
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bay area spec 944 racers

Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14947

Hey there!

Please allow me to introduce myself -- I moved to the bay area just over a year ago coming from NYC. I've always had a bit of a car/driving hobby, and now that there is space and culture to do such things, I've been taking full advantage. I somehow I got it in me that working on 944s and 928s is a good idea, and have so far acquired (for unbelievably low prices... craigslist is amazing) 3 944s. One is my DD, one was wrecked and bought as a parts car, and one was in rough condition but drove strong... until I spun a bearing on Laguna in an open lapping event. I'm rebuilding the engine that had a spun bearing now, and am planning on stripping out that car and turning it into a racer.

I'm really taken by the idea of turning the stripped car into a spec racer (as opposed to stroking the 2.5L, or putting in a chevy v8). I'm wondering if there is anybody else in the area (redwood city ish) that might be interested in meeting up perhaps over a beer to chat about the series? I'm mostly looking to make friends with people with similar hobbies/passions, and perhaps learn about about the rules, regs, some of the history and culture etc. of 944 spec racing in northern California.

Cheers,
-Zach

Re: Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14954

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Welcome Zach

I don't think any of us are down on the Peninsula but feel invited to our next Race at Infineon on Feb 9/10.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by JerryW. Reason: spilling

Re: Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14955

Hi Jerry! That's a shame, the weather's great down here

Infineon is pretty close by, I would be thrilled to stop by and check it out. Are you guys there all day both days?

Re: Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14956

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
Welcome to the area Zach.

I have not officially joined the ranks of the 944 racers, but am working towards my competition license (in HPDE for now) and hope to join the racing later this year.

I will be there with my family from Friday afternoon right through to Sunday evening.
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14957

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
All day Sat for sure and depending on our race time Mid Afternoon on Sun. Some of the guys arrive Fri and camp there. There will be a NASA BBQ Sat night that all are invited to and we might well have something happening Fri evening (not sure yet)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Bay area spec 944 racers 11 years, 3 months ago #14959

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Hey Zach, I used to live in Cupertino but have since moved to the wilds of the sacramento valley. I probably won't be at the february race but we should be setting up our awards get together soon. Normally we do go karts but this year it's paintball.I'm sure there will be extra space for one more target so we'll let you know when!

Spec racing is a great place to start and Norcal has the best people/drivers(if you grade on a curve that is, taking into account Mr Foxx!). If you love racing it doesn't get any better, and if you love working on the car, even with the strict ruleset there is always something to do. Come by the track and check it out, stay for dinner and a beer and maybe take one of our cars for a spin and you'll be hooked!

Ron
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds