Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt.

autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1848

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
It's a long downtime before our next race on Aug. 23-24.

Sid, Jonathan, myself and perhaps Jeremy will be at the PCA-GGR autoX this Sat. at Alameda Pt.
It's $30 for PCA members and $40 for non-members for either a full day or half day.
I'm just going to do the afternoon session.

More info here from the PCA-GGR website:
http://www.pca-ggr.org/node/109
--Ken
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by pixrken.

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1850

Hmmm. For the same price, is it worth it to wake up earlier and get there around 8-8:30 for early registration or sleep in and miss 4 runs and make it for the 11:30am registration. It would be ok if they have a fun run for the last 30-60 minutes of the day but that is not always guaranteed.

I think we just have to work the cones for 1 session if I remember right. I am leaning more towards the 8am start. Who else wants to join me in the chilly overcast morning at Alameda Point?
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1851

OK it is not 12:06 am and I am still up so I guess I will be there around 11am for the afternoon session. See everyone there. Come on out and join the fun.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1856

Glad nobody came out except for Ken, Jonathan, Jeremy and myself. They were so unorganized today. There were 3 run groups and they didn't get through the 3rd run group until 2:30pm. That was only having 3 runs per group. The afternoon session only was 2 runs instead of 4 so they could try to get done and out of there by 5pm.

For $40 and only 5 runs, it was not worth it. I've been to other events and they have at least 7 - 8 runs and if time permitted, they would have about a 30 minute fun run at the end which we can probably do 2 or 3 more runs. Oh well, I guess I will stick with racing instead of autox.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1858

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Is the glass half full or half empty?
It has to do with expectations. I just brought a street registered car because I was too lazy to take my SUV to get my trailer to pickup my 944-SPEC car for a autoX. Sid did the same with a street car.
True, we didn't get many runs in but we didn't get there till close to 11:30 for the afternoon session and I was only expecting four runs and we got five. They were having problems with the timing equipment and behind on the schedule.
I hate the wait at autoX's and the reason why I prefer track days but got nothing else to do on this Saturday and the event was only 15 minutes away from my house.
I hate the wait but do enjoy the actual autoX courses. This particular course was fairly long and challenging and I got two DNF's because I got lost.
So the typical autoX long downtime aside, I say the glass is half full because I enjoy hanging out with you guys, watching the sailboats, the dept. of homeland security speed boats and the coast guard helicopters go by, the beautiful view of San Francisco from Alameda Pt. and a chance to test my new pop-up vented canopy against the high winds.

Jonathan with his sunroof delete '87 924S

Jeremy's 944

Sid's '88, full spec suspension.

Ken's '88 924S

Here you can see the sun almost able to burn the fog off with San Francisco and the Bay Bridge in the background. For those not from this area, the fog and ocean breeze are the reasons why it can still be cold with the two hottest months of the year (July and August) in NorCal.
--Ken

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1859

Ken is right. There is always 2 ways to look at a picture and I did have fun hanging out with the fellas and Mike Lee even came by to say hi and rode with me for a run. That really helped as I also got a DNF for the first run due to being lost on the course.

A memo to myself, always get there for the morning session so you can walk the course and get a mental picture of it instead of going into it blind like we did.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds