Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt.

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1873

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
I had fun just hanging out and talking shop with you guys. I always learn something or get another perspective on something. I also had nothing better to do that day. Hanging out in the sun with a bunch of Porsche freaks is a pretty good day.
I got 3 DNFs for the same reason....totally lost! Everything comes up so fast....but once I learned about the "pointer cones" it was a lot easier to follow directions. Haha.

I got the results emailed to me from the PCA LPR AX at Marina Airport LAST weekend...and they got 13 runs!!! Maybe you guys should make a trip down to my neck of the woods next time. It was a smaller course....a lot of 45s and 50s.
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1881

Litespeeds wrote:
For $40 and only 5 runs, it was not worth it. I've been to other events and they have at least 7 - 8 runs and if time permitted, they would have about a 30 minute fun run at the end which we can probably do 2 or 3 more runs. Oh well, I guess I will stick with racing instead of autox.

I used to Autocross with the Arizona PCA all the time. That is where I started and where the car was built to run at when I first started this in 2000. That said years ago I gave up most autocrossing due to the limited track time. It was fun and all, and our PCA region actually ran flying laps so we would get 3 and 3/4 laps on around the cones per run. Heck we still would get something like 3 of those rotations before the day was done. Even so not enough track time considering loading up and towing down there. Plus the time away family was better spent at a track day.

Too bad as I was alot of fun.

The other issue I always had was the spec car drifted away from an autocross set-up to a big track set-up. The ideal autocross car is nearly unstable so that it can turn super easy with relatively low side loads. Most race track cars need to be build with more stablilty underbraking and at turn in since the speeds and side loads are much higher. What is crisp on the track can turn into dull around the cones. What is crisp arond the cones turns diabolical around big track. It is nothing that can't be tweaked, but that just adds to the autocross effort. Still if the spec cars is street legal and you have nothing better to do it can be fun time. Plus a nice way to promote the class too. Alot of us Az guys started in PCA autocross back in the day.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:autoX Saturday 7/19/2008 at Alameda Pt. 15 years, 9 months ago #1887

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I would have loved to be there, if nothing else for the cool, fresh air. I spent Saturday in my hot garage getting drunk on Acetone fumes while finishing the gutting of my interior. But I'm ready for the cage, though!
wait,did I hear a UPS truck? c-ya
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds