NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Joining in on the fun

Joining in on the fun 15 years, 8 months ago #2141

• Lofgren
  • Drivers Ed
Hi all -

As you may have heard, I'm building a car to come join y'all. It's a 1988, Guards Red (yes, too many of those in the group already, but I love the color and now I have '87, '88, and '89 Porsches, all Guards Red!). I bought it in Vegas in non-starting condition (Art figured that out for me, turned out to be gas that had turned to varnish and clogged everything up). I had to compromise my principles and get a sunroof (sigh).

I'm prepping it now (full suspension change-over, otherwise stock) for a CDS Laguna event next weekend. If everything goes right, I'll join you at the Porsches at the Point event. Lots of hoops for the car and me to jump through before I get there. I haven't raced door-to-door since 1998, so NASA wants me do some sort of "observation" thing at an HPDE event before giving me a Provisional license.

I'm planning on using #48; I see in the driver listing that there was a NorCal car with that number, but I've never seen it at the races (comments, anyone?).

Looking forward to racing with you all.
Dan
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

PS: don't tell me that cars don't have feelings/personality. Two days before I was due to start building up the new car, I blew the engine on my '89 944S2 at Thunderhill (#2 rod bearing, piston slap, really banged up the cylinder walls) - "Daddy, if you love me, why are we getting a little brother?". It's at Art's now, he's trying to find a really big Band-Aid for the wound (new block, pistons, etc.)

Re:Joining in on the fun 15 years, 8 months ago #2142

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Dan,

Welcome! We're so happy to have you join us finally.
The #48 is our 24 hours of LeMons car, it's sitting at Art's AutoPoint Motors parking lot next to my spare gold '88 944 and keeping a eye on your S2.
You are welcome to use #48, we'll probably be assigned a different number the next time we run the LeMon's.
Do you want a #48 944-SPEC number plate like this?

If so, I can get one for you from our sponsor FBP.com
Sid can also help you with vinyl numbers and graphics if you prefer that instead.
--Ken

Re:Joining in on the fun 15 years, 8 months ago #2161

Hi Dan. Can't wait to have you out there with us.

(thinking very loudly) Oh no, another Lofgren brother....hope he is not as slow as his brother.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by Litespeeds.

Re:Joining in on the fun 15 years, 7 months ago #2179

• Lofgren
  • Drivers Ed
I think you can count on me to be slower than Rick - when he's "on" he's 2-4 seconds a lap faster than me.

I just did my first event in the car (Porsche Club CDS at Laguna). I had the inevitable #$#(*#$ ignition rotor screw fall out problem, but apart from that the car worked fine. It's still only about 25% done (most of the suspension done, correct wheels/tires, the first 100 lbs of weight off, but that's it). I got a 1:59.6 best lap (I just compared it via our nifty Traqmate system to Rick's last time there, with a 1:51 - I'm going 5 MPH slower than him EVERYWHERE on the track). The Toyo 888s seemed to perform and wear OK at 40 PSI cold, by the way.

In case anyone cares, I've decided to be car number 4 (my original choice of #48 proved to make for comically large number circles when combined with NASA's minimum 10" high numbers).

Still aiming to be at Sears in November.

Dan

Re:Joining in on the fun 15 years, 7 months ago #2180

• whaxed
  • Drivers Ed
Sweet: another driver! (Notes that I need to get a new rotor screw) Well, as I said before: Can't let the Lofgren's be next to each other on the grid. That just wouldn't be sporting.

We're all going to have to find that "2-4" or Rick's going to get bored. Cheers to good driving and safe close racing.
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds