Spec Racing in NorCal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Spec Racing in NorCal

Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6791

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
What advice is there for a potential 944 Spec racer moving from the Midwest to NorCal (Cupertino area)? Where does everyone keep their cars (if they can't afford a house with sizeable property)? Can you buy an affordable house in a good school district?
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6795

Joel,

I recently relocated from the East coast to Santa Clara/Sunnyvale. The answer is no, you can't buy a house here for a "reasonable" price

You are looking at $600K to $700K to start for a decent house in a decent area of silicone valley. The further out you go, the cheaper it gets.

I keep my car in my enclosed trailer which I keep at a storage place in South San Jose for $100/month.

Re:Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6796

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I lived in Cupertino for many years, which is one of the reasons I waited so long to go racing. I couldn't afford a house AND a racecar. The bay area is very expensive, and the southwest end of the valley is the most desirable. I had to move to the Sacramento area to get a decent sized house with room for a couple of project cars. If you needed to, you can keep a racecar in my RV parking but I'm 2 1/2 hours away.

The good news is if you ride a bicycle there is no better place to live. Road or mountain, the south bay is bike nirvana!

Re:Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6798

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks guys. We are weighing our options of staying in KC where we live or taking a potential job change opportunity. Won't know anything yet for a little while. We are just doing whatever research we can do to be certain we want to do this.

We used to live in Northern VA so know all about high real estate costs (we got lucky and moved right before the real estate bubble deflated).
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6802

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I can certainly host a 944Spec race car here for a while if you end up moving out and don't have a solution.

Actually at the kind of money we are talking about I may even be able to offer **some** permenant spots.

Hmm he thinks - how many can I fit in an acre ......
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Spec Racing in NorCal 14 years, 2 months ago #6811

Jerry, if you are serious and live closer than my storage area, I'd just assume give a fellow racer my $100/month.

I'm happy with the storage place but it is pretty far away and fairly tight quarters for trailer maneuvering.
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds